How to show additional information about users on tickets by using the User Property custom field

Sometimes on a daily basis, we need to view information about users/collaborators that are not visible on their Atlassian account profile, e.g., their phone number. Also, some users may set some details as private, as their location, for example.

In this article, I’ll share with you how to use the User Properties on User management along with the User Property custom field to show details about users on the ticket view.

:warning:  Note 1: You need to be a Jira administrator and a Site administrator to perform the below steps.

:warning: Note 2: This is for company-managed projects only.

1. Adding properties to a user profile

1. As a site-admin, go to Cog icon > User management.

1.png

2. From the users' page, click on the user you want to add the properties.

3. Click on ººº > Edit Jira properties.

2.png

4. Add the necessary values on Key and Value and click on Add.

3.png

2. Creating the custom field and associating it to the screens

1. As a Jira administrator, go to Cog icon > Issues > Custom fields > Create custom field > Advanced.

2. Select User Property Field (< 255 characters) > Next > Add a name > Create.

4.png

3. On the next page, select the screens you want this field to be visible and click on  Update.

4. Follow the same steps to create fields for each property.

3. Setting the default value

1. From the Custom fields page, search for the fields you created.

2. Click on ººº > Context and default value.

5.png

3. Click on Edit default value.

6.png

4. In this example, I’m using the system field Assignee to pull these details, so for the value to be visible on the issue view you need to use:

Custom_Field_Name:Property_Key

The property key is the name of the property we set on the user profile (Step 1.4).

7.png

5. Click on Set default and then follow the same steps for the other fields.

8.png

4. How the field works on the issue view

In the example, I used the Assignee custom field, so when the ticket is assigned to a user/agent, both fields will be automatically updated with the properties.

It works when the ticket is assigned at the moment it's created or if the assignee is changed after that.

9.png

10.gif

5. Links

18 comments

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2022

@Angélica Luz , this is a great article. Thank you so much for sharing. I’m going to play with it a bit hopefully today. Obviously one of the key things that is missing here (??) is support in JSM for customers. IMO, the need is greater on external customers vs. internal customers.

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 5, 2022

Thank you @Jack Brickey

To use this feature for external customers, the only workaround, for now, is to migrate their accounts to Atlassian account.

Ability to store additional information about customers 

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2022

Question for you @Angélica Luz , with Insights (is it still called that?) in Premium is it possible to treat customer contact info as assets so they can be added to each issue the customer reports? In my mind I was just looking at it like this…

customer laptop: MacBook Pro asset tag - 1234

customer country: Brazil

customer phone: 5555555555

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2022

It looks like these fields could be (accidentally, or even purposely) edited, per-issue. Is that right?

Might that be confusing?

Bruno Altenhofen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 5, 2022

Awesome!!

Italo Qualisoni January 5, 2022

@Mykenna Cepek , these fields are read-only so they field can't be edited per-issue.

@Angélica Luz thanks for sharing! I wish there were an automated way to populate user properties from externals sources, currently this can be done manually or using API but maybe this could be part of Atlassian Access integration pulling from Okta, Azure AD ... ?

Like # people like this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2022

I just added a link to this article on my personal Confluence instance because I know I'll be using this in the future! Great write up

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 6, 2022

@Jack Brickey It would be necessary to create an object for each customer and use automation to pull this information when they create a ticket. Depending on the number of customer accounts, it would be possible to import a CSV file with their name, phone number, account ID, and any other necessary information.

@Mykenna Cepek The field is read-only, but due to a bug, they are editable on the new issue view. 

@Italo Qualisoni The properties added to the user profile via User management is not the same as the properties added via API. Also, there are no suggestions regarding automatically adding properties via identity providers.

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Mergim Rexha May 2, 2022

Thanks for the great contribution @Angélica Luz 

I have tried the whole thing and it works.
However, my question now is how can I use the value for automation?
I have tried everything possible:
{{reporter.phone}}
{{reporter:phone}}
{{issue.reporter.phone}}
{{issue.reporter:phone}}
{{issue.customfield_10170.value}}
and many more.
Could you maybe answer the question for me?

Mergim Rexha May 2, 2022

For all:

I have now figured it out on my own.
Go into your ticket and use the developer console to see what ID the custom field has.
For me it was: customfield_10170
You will get the value with: {{customfield_10170}}

:)

Alex Shirokov September 8, 2022

Great article! Thank you, very much! It works like a charm! 

I'm wondering whether can I use it based on the current user. 

For example, I need to have data on the current users (who works with the issue) in my custom field. I tried a "current user" but no success.

Any thoughts? 

Thank you

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2023

Thanks for this @Angélica Luz  - looks like a great work around. I will look in details and see comments soon.

On quick glance, The only 2 things I dont like about this solution is that it needs to be added through fields and fields need to take up screen estate on the issue view

And the other thing is that it needs to be set as teh default option based on another field like assignee or reporter. If the user properties/entites are set on each user, it would be super to see i on the hove profile view when hovering over the assignee / reporter or other user field.

Thanks though. Looking forward to playing iwth this

Like # people like this
ASP Systems February 26, 2023

Hello @Angélica Luz

Could it be possible to set this on worklogauthor instead of assignee or reporter?

Much appreciated.

Best regards,

Chris Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2023

Thanks for that description. How should I implement the Phone-number-example with 1800+ users? Do you expect me to manage that manually?

It would be nice to have a way to get the data from Azure AD into Atlassian Access and then show the details on the user popup on every issue.

Atlassian: stop thinking in manual steps, start thinking for automated processes in bigger environments...

Like # people like this
Tony Chu May 4, 2023

Hi @Chris Schneider ,

Use your preferred programming language to query from AAD for the 1800+ users.

Then push the data to Jira Cloud with this REST API:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-user-properties/#api-rest-api-3-user-properties-propertykey-put

Your code still needs to use an account which has site-admin privilege.

rsisauri February 28, 2024

Hi,
I can see additional information about user when I hover over the user on the issue. (I can see information about reporter, about approvers (custom field: user picker), assignee) But I am not able to see profile of the request participant.

Can someone help here?

Thanks.

Chris Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2024

@Tony Chu 

Thank you for your response - I missed it at the time. What is the common key between AzureAD and Atlassian User Management? AFAIK I would have to query AzureAD for the data. Then I would have to get all our users from Atlassian, including UserID and email address. Then, I can reference the data based on email and use the Rest-API to push e.g. phone numbers to the users. right? Or did I miss something?

Tony Chu February 28, 2024

Hi @Chris Schneider 

There is no common key between AzureAD and Atlassian system at all. You can only rely on the account's email address as the sole link between the two systems. So, you need to first get the email address of the account from AAD, then do the search of the account with that email on Jira.

Luckily for you, the following 2 Jira APIs allow querying accounts by email address:

1. https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-user-search/#api-rest-api-3-user-picker-get

/rest/api/3/user/picker?query=<emailaddress>

2. https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-user-search/#api-rest-api-3-user-search-get

/rest/api/3/user/search?query=<emailaddress>

They can be called with either API token authentication or OAuth 2.0 token authentication.

Recently I was told by Atlassian Support that there's another API which can also provide similar information but this one is using HTTP POST method so you need to fill in a more complicated JSON payload to call it, so I haven't tried it yet:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/admin/organization/rest/api-group-users/#api-v1-orgs-orgid-users-search-post
Also, this one is calling at the organization level, that means you need to use an API Key, not API token / OAuth token:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/admin/organization/rest/intro/#auth

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events