How Jira plays a part in helping Julien Nicolas de Verteuil complete his Master's degree

Remember @jndeverteuil? How could anyone forget the star of his recent piece about planning his wedding with Jira. It's no surprise that Julien's Jira expertise is not just limited to wedding planning––read on to discover how he used Jira to conduct research for his Master's degree!
What was the topic of your research paper?
The title currently is Design and Development of an Application Artifact for the Implementation in Practice of the TOGAF (v9.1) ADM Methodology. I am finishing a Master's degree in Information Technology Management here in Montreal and I have chosen to do my research within the context of the Enterprise Architecture practice.
Can you provide some screenshots of your Jira / Confluence instances?
I absolutely can, the only concern is that I am speaking French and while I'm using Jira in English, I'm writing my content in French. Also, there's not much work currently being done in the project as it has been submitted for review and I am awaiting feedback.
JIProject: Projet d'application
Key: TOGAF
Backlog.png
I started up using a Scrum Board so I could prioritize more easily, but without my research director didn't have time to learn to use Jira. Since I couldn't onboard him, it wasn't efficient doing Sprints while I couldn't get him to commit. However, I would highly suggest that it could make academic research way more efficient! Here's a screenshot of the columns of my board as I don't have any issue ongoing.
image3.png
Every time I send a new version to my research director, I track it in Jira with all the issues that have been completed. I can then share with him the ChangeLog by exporting the Release Log!
photo2.png
Doing a research project is not a sprint... it's a marathon! You can see that there has been a lot of activity from December to January while the core of my research has been done. Prior to that period where the design phase where a lot of research had to be done. After that period, it's all about writing the report and waiting for the review.
Photo1.png
Here's a screenshot of my Confluence Space:
Projet.png
Usually, for each Skype meeting we had (was the most efficient way to communicate for us), I would share my screen with him and I would have a prepared Meeting Note page ready. From there we would get going on what had been accomplishing and what were our next action items. I would then create the tasks from the action items from Confluence straight to Jira with the Create Multiple Issues functionality!
Can you list the (high-level) steps you took to get everything set up?
The first thing I did, was to buy licenses for both server versions of Jira Software and Confluence. I would run them locally on my windows machine with a local run PostgreSQL database. This setup was sufficient for my need as I didn't plan on having to share it/access it externally. Not much was left to do, simple project configuration:
  1. Select the Issue Type Scheme
    Issuetypes.png
  2. Make a simple Workflow
    image222.png
  3. Selection and reorder of fields within the Screen and I decided to use only one screen to keep things simple
  4. Create my Epics and Versions
  5. Start to drill those down by stories/task so those bites would be easier to chew
  6. I then created my Confluence Space to get my work organized!

2 comments

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2018

Another cool Story!

Yay

jndeverteuil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2018

I am almost done with my academic research and it's so satisfying to have found a way to get it done and that works well for me!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events