FAQs related Jira Incoming Mail affected by Microsoft's deprecation of REST API

1. Why are we migrating to Microsoft Graph API?

Microsoft has begun deprecating its REST API, and the service is ceasing to function, so we are migrating to the Microsoft Graph API.

2. Are there any action items that we need to perform?

image-20240719-045540.png

Yes, you need to re-authorize all incoming mail servers that use Microsoft when you see the banner on your site. Before the banner appears, you have no actions to take. For more information, see the community post.

3. When will the rollout reach our instance?

We started rolling out this change on July 8, 2024 and will complete it by July 19, 2024. As communicated in the community post, when the change reaches your site, you will receive an email and a banner on the Incoming Emails page instructing you to re-authorize your mail server(s).

4. How do we confirm if the mail server is successfully authorized?

After the mail server is successfully authorized, the banner instructing you to re-authorize will disappear.

5. I already re-authorized our mail server but continued to receive the email and saw the banner again after a week. How can I address it?

We paused the rollout of the changes during the week of July 4 while we addressed the issues that surfaced earlier. We started rolling out this change again on July 8, 2024 and will complete it by July 19, 2024.

You may have received communication again after we resumed the rollout. Please re-authorize with the same instructions.

6. The re-authorization was successful, but the banners did not go away.

A banner appears when any of the servers require re-authorization. If you have more than one Microsoft OAuth mail server, please make sure to re-authorize all of them.

7. I accidentally chose the wrong mailbox or a different mailbox while re-authorizing. How do I get the information about the previous mail server?

Please note the mail server’s email address so you can select the correct mailbox during re-authorization. We don't store the mail server address to protect customer information for PII reasons. Please make a note of it before re-authorization.

8. We get a prompt “Need admin approval“. How to grant permission to the app?

image-20240718-072920.png

This appears when the user uses the Azure portal. Please ask your Outlook admins to grant Jira permission. Follow this Azure guide to grant access.

9. I have re-authorized and see that the banners are gone, but the emails sent have not been converted into issues or comments.

It could happen due to a mismatch in folder names.

1. Check the Language settings of Outlook. As Microsoft Graph API doesn’t automatically translate language, please enter the same names in the mail handler configuration and make sure it's case-sensitive. There are two ways to fix it:

1. For example, if we configure Spanish in Outlook settings, the same name in Spanish should also be given in the Mail handler “folder“ settings.

2. Otherwise, change the language of Outlook to English.

2. In the case of sub-folders, check the path - it should be divided with the "/" path. For example - Level1/SubLevel/ABC

Post verifying, and once we correct the Folder path, all the unprocessed emails from the last 7 days will start processing and convert into issues or comments.

10. What if I see an 'Authentication failed' flag?

image-20240718-072424.png

Authentication fails when a user doesn’t accept permissions. Make sure to accept permissions during re-authorization.

11. What major permissions does this feature access from customers?

1. Reading the User Profile

2. Ability to read, write and access mail.

3. Offline Access to the mailbox

12. I have a POP configuration, and issues are not getting created after migrating to the Graph API.

It may be related to your Outlook language settings. If that's the case, it's a known issue. The workaround is to change the language settings from Outlook to English, and the issues will start picking up. Or else, change the configurations from POP to IMAP, and it will work without changing the language from Outlook. The same language that is used in Outlook can be used in mail handlers settings. Issues will start creating.

13. Does it affect JSM’s incoming mail feature, too?

No, it doesn’t affect JSM.

Technical Support

If you are still experiencing issues, please contact Atlassian Support. We’d be more than happy to assist you.

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events