Enhanced Jira board and backlog

463 comments

Robert Mullins August 18, 2023

Clicking 'Create an Issue' allows you to type in a new field, but that's as far as it goes.

Can't actually create an issue.

Like Lisa likes this
Joni Johnson August 18, 2023

@Eoin How do you opt-in for these changes? I am an early adopter. I saw the changes in our sandbox and now see them in production. How do our Jira users see and utilize this new view?

Like Eoin likes this
Jayshree.Morrison
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 18, 2023

Very nice changes...aesthetically and functionally pleasing.  Thank you!  :)

Like Eoin likes this
Wellington Schiavon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 18, 2023

@Eoin parabéns muito bom!!!!

Like Eoin likes this
Lisa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2023

Thanks @Robert Mullins for the feedback. Are you available for a catch up so we can better understand and see the problem you're experiencing? You can book some time in my calendar here: https://calendly.com/lsutherland1/30min.

Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2023

Hi @Joni Johnson - we'll be rolling out these changes to your users this week - they will see the ability to opt-in by the end of the week! Thanks

Like Joni Johnson likes this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2023

Still enjoying this updates, @Eoin  - and some of our sprint managers are too! Thanks again

I was just wondering - another amazing feature for this would be to show the board and/or project that a sprint originates from - I see that this is closed https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-23020

Any idea or plan for this? Thank you

Like Eoin likes this
Donny Gison August 21, 2023

The Sprint Story point count seem to be different from the old Backlog view 

Existing Backlog view 

Old Backlog view.png

Enhanced Backlog view 

New Backlog view.png

Same set of Jira Stories but different SP count result in Backlog view.  From our view the existing Backlog view is the correct one. The Enhanced view did NOT consider our Definition of Done column. Not sure which status it will consider for it to set the Story as Done.  Can you please check? Thanks.

Like # people like this
Wolfgang Stoeckle
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 22, 2023

Is it possible to add more filter possibilities like "Fix Version"?

BrosseauDamien _Consultant_ August 22, 2023

Fantastic update ! Great job !!

Like Lisa likes this
Arun Krishnan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 22, 2023

I tried the 'Enhance my board and backlog' option in JIRA.

The active board look better since it shown more details.

But there is a bug in Backlog page - the summation of issues status (Not started, In Progress, Done) is showing incorrect data. Once you switch off the enhanced version, this JIRA corrects this. This created some confusions in my team. Kindly fix.

Joshi_ Sujit
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 23, 2023

Trash.

I enabled it and all my boards and filters magically disappeared.

Thanks.

Ethan Locke
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 23, 2023

There seems to be is a bug associated with this feature that makes the boards functionally invisible and disrupts meetings. Links to some boards redirect the users to the list of projects when this is enabled and they are unable to be found by other means as well.

Edit: Atlassian is tracking this bug and has a list of options to workaround it https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-25622

This feature can be disabled to return your access to those boards.
To revert:

1. Go to any board for any project you have access to
  2. Click the three dots “. . .” on the top-right of the board
  3. Uncheck “Enhance my board and backlog”
Like Joshi_ Sujit likes this
Kyle Mitchell August 23, 2023

I love most things about the new Enhanced Backlog feature but one BIG challenge is the loss of functionality for using Ctrl-F to quickly isolate my issue.  The reason I do this is so I can re-rank it.  If i use the filter then I cannot drag it relationally above or below or other issues as they are hidden.  This worked find in the old view.  It seems like for performance reasons all issues are not rendered until they are in view from scrolling so ctrl-f cannot find them.

Overall this speaks to a problem of how do I view/manage the rank of my backlog as a whole.  Using Ctrl-F is a workaround I use because of the lack of capabilities to properly rank items in a backlog.

Like # people like this
Karen Aiken August 24, 2023

Sounds like this change will help reduce some of the noise in the epics panel on our backlog, and also prevent "active" epics from being unintentionally hidden.

There's still a lot of noise in the epics panel that could be managed by applying filters - is there any word on this feature request?

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18474 

Emmanuel Blanco August 24, 2023

Please improve the color changes of issues, tasks and stories independently on the timeline. Thank you

Jean Gordon August 24, 2023

Really slow and not how we work but will be forced to use I expect

Stephen Whittle
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 24, 2023

In the enhanced view of the active sprint, I can no longer see the impediment flag on stories that have subtasks.  Also, a few tasks do not appear in the enhanced view but reappear in the non-enhanced view.  Neither has any filters applied, but I cannot see a pattern to explain why

Lisa
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2023

[Updated 6/09]

Hi @Donny Gison 

We recently updated the Sprint badges to more accurately reflect the total estimates based on status category.

While we are keen to iterate on the sprint badge logic in the future, we've heard your feedback and have made the decision to maintain the previous approach to how sprint badges are calculated. This means the sprint badges will be based on column position, not status category. You should see this change reflected in your backlog by the end of this week. Moving forward, we will be investigating how we can update the sprint badges to better accommodate a variety of use cases. If you have any additional thoughts or feedback on this, feel free to email me directly at lsutherland@atlassian.com. 

Lisa
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2023

Hi @Wolfgang Stoeckle 

Thanks for the feedback. You can add more filters to your Board using Quick Filters in your Board Settings. You can find further information here about configuring Quick Filters.  

Lisa
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2023

[Updated 6/09] Hi @Arun Krishna 

We recently updated the Sprint badges to more accurately reflect the total estimates based on status category.

While we are keen to iterate on the sprint badge logic in the future, we've heard your feedback and have made the decision to maintain the previous approach to how sprint badges are calculated. This means the sprint badges will be based on column position, not status category. You should see this change reflected in your backlog by the end of this week. Moving forward, we will be investigating how we can update the sprint badges to better accommodate a variety of use cases. If you have any additional thoughts or feedback on this, feel free to email me directly at lsutherland@atlassian.com. 

Like Donny Gison likes this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2023

Hi @Lisa,

That's a pretty tricky change (the update of the sprint badges based on status category). While it seems to make perfect sense at first sight ...

• Many customers don't configure status categories properly.
  • Statuses are managed centrally in Jira and can only have 1 status category (and corresponding color coding). Statuses are often used in different workflows and take up different positions there. That leads to potential conflicts.
  • It is quite common to design workflows for e.g stories that cover analysis, development and QA stages, all with a set of more detailed workflow steps. Think about Ready for Analysis, In Analysis, Ready to Estimate, Ready for Development, Dev In Progress, Ready for QA, ... Also quite commonly, that process is spread across multiple boards to accommodate the different (sub-) teams. While Ready for Dev is a to do status for the development team, it is the done status for the analysts preparing the story. Board position is a perfect fit to let each team track its work towards completion, while status category does not offer that flexibility.

As always, choice would be the most likely way out of this. Please don't enforce one or the other - I know that sprint reports and the way they are calculated are VERY important to quite a lot of teams, scrum masters, product owners, ... out there.

Like Eoin likes this
Lisa
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2023

Hi @Joshi_ Sujit

Could you please let me know if you're still experiencing this issue?

Lisa
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2023

Hi @Kyle Mitchell 

Thank you for sharing your feedback! As you've mentioned, this is related to how we load issues in the new UI. We will be exploring some product workarounds for this browser behaviour and share where we get to. 

Lisa
Atlassian Team
August 25, 2023

Hi @Jean Gordon 

Thank you for your feedback. Would you be available for a call show us your setup and where you are noticing the latency - you can see my calendar here: https://calendly.com/lsutherland1/30min. We'd have a gift card for you as a thank you for your time!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events