App Permissions in Next-gen projects

G'day Atlassian community!

My name is Abhinaya Sinha and I'm a product manager for Jira. I'm excited to announce that we have launched support for custom project permissions from Atlassian marketplace applications/add-ons to next-gen projects. You may be aware that earlier in the year, we had announced the launch of managing roles and permissions in next-gen projects. The capability we're announcing today extends next-gen permissions and roles beyond Jira-provided project permissions to marketplace applications'/addons'-provided permissions. It makes roles in next-gen projects even more powerful and extensible. 

What are custom project permissions? 

Custom project permissions are permissions scoped to a project and are typically added by marketplace applications/add-ons. Apps use such permissions to make Jira more extensible and powerful, and we're pleased that next-gen projects can leverage this capability now. To give an example of such extensibility, consider an app such as Tempo Timesheets. It provides permissions such as "view all worklogs", "log work for others", "set billable hours", and "view issue hours". Each of these permissions serves a distinct purpose. For instance, "set billable hours" allows customers to control the use of billable hours in Tempo, so they can track them independently of the actual worked hoursBy supporting such permissions in next-gen projects, we extend the functionality of a next-gen project to capabilities provided by marketplace applications and add-ons. Any Atlassian marketplace connect application installed on your Jira instance that specifies project permissions in its app descriptor is now available for use in next-gen. Some other applications that provide project permissions include Issue Checklist Pro, Deep Clone for Jira, among others. 

Administrators can create project roles and grant these permissions to those roles. And users assigned to these roles can then use functionality provided by these permissions. 

How to use these permissions?

Navigate to Project Settings > Access for Jira Software (Project Settings > Internal Access for Jira Service Desk) and click on "Manage roles".

community_app_permissions_1.png

Click on "Create Role".

community_app_permissions_2.png

Custom project permissions appear under the 'App permissions' tab. Permissions are grouped by app. Next-gen project administrators can grant respective permissions to users, then click on Create role. The created role appears in the list of roles under "Manage roles". For more on using roles in next-gen projects, please refer to our launch announcement on using roles and permissions in next-gen projects

In the example below, there are 3 apps installed on the site that specify project permissions in their app descriptor. Permissions from these apps appear in the "Create role" modal. I created a new role called "Tempo Timesheet users" to which, I granted the set of permissions provided by Tempo Timesheets. The newly created role appears in the "Manage roles" modal. Project administrators can assign users to these roles. Assigned users would be able to perform actions described by the permissions granted to the role. 

community_app_permissions_3.png

community_app_permission_4.png

community_app_permission_5.png

community_app_permission_6.png

Finally, note that app project permissions can be granted to new roles only and not to the default roles: Administrator, Member, Viewer for Jira Software and Administrator, Agent, Viewer for Jira Service Desk. If administrators would like to utilise app project permissions, they must create a new role and grant these permissions to that role. 

We hope you find this feature useful to your work and look forward to your feedback. 

Thank you!

Cheers,

Abhinaya

6 comments

Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 10, 2020

@Abhinaya Sinha,

That's excellent news! I've just tested it in the Issue Checklist Pro, and it works well.

However, these permissions are not as flexible as those in the Classic projects. For example, you cannot grant permission to assignee or reporter. 

Nevertheless, that is a significant improvement in Jira Next-Gen.

Thanks,
Jack

Abhinaya Sinha
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2020

Hi @Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_ thanks for testing the feature and letting us know your feedback. 

Yes, we don't have support for assignee/reporter yet in next-gen. For the moment, you can work with users and groups. 

Cheers,

Abhinaya

Maciej Opala June 11, 2020

Hello @Abhinaya Sinha,

that's indeed a very good news for both add-ons vendors and Jira users. I'd like to thank you and entire Jira team for extending capabilities of next-gen projects, the more features they get the more tempting alternative they are for classic projects. Keep up the good work!

Best regards,
Maciej Opala

Abhinaya Sinha
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2020

Thank you for your appreciation @Maciej Opala 

Cheers,

Abhinaya

Aziz Williams July 16, 2020

hi guys

Can I please have clarity on this. Does this now mean that general customers can be given these permissions within a specific project without consuming a Jira licence.

I really need to ask...and know

thanks

Aziz williams

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2020

Thanks @Abhinaya Sinha for sharing this great news! It is always good to know that Next-gen projects are being improved with new features continuously.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events