Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it possible to run two jira automation scripts in a specific order?

ADM Amar Msaid April 24, 2023

Hi everyone,

i have two jira automation script A and B that are triggered when the issue is created. I want to make sure that A executes before B (without merging the two script ).

Is it possible de run a script from another script ?

Thank you.  

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jan-Hendrik Spieth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2023

For rules that are listening to the same trigger, the order is non-deterministic. No way around that!

Your only options afaik are to

• merge the rules, or to
  • re-define the 2nd rule to listen to another trigger (e.g. changes to a certain field), allow it to be triggered from other rule actions; and in the last step of your 1st rule, implement the action that triggers the 2nd (e.g. change a certain field)
ADM Amar Msaid April 25, 2023

thsnk you.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Himanshi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2023

Hello @ADM Amar Msaid , 

As @Jan-Hendrik Spieth mentioned it is a limitation of Native Jira cloud feature that the automation rule could not execute in determined order. Jira do have a feature request to address the same.

I found a community discussion where user has tried some workaround to execute the automation rule in a specific order you can try to check that : https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-questions/How-to-set-a-specific-order-of-execution-of-automation-rules/qaq-p/1858640

Hope the information would help you.

Have a nice day ahead!

ADM Amar Msaid April 25, 2023

thank you.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS