Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to set a specific order of execution of automation rules using auto. rule with trig. IncWebhook?

Edited

I have three custom fields, each of which is filled in automatically when creating an issue using automated rules with certain values. It is fundamentally important for me to set up a strict order of execution of these automated rules using Webhook. The order of the rules should be as follows: first, RULE 1 is executed, then RULE 2 is executed, and only after successful execution of RULE 2, RULE 3 is executed. According to my knowledge, I understand that each rule should have an action "Send web request" and another one should be created. an automated rule triggered by Incoming webhook. Can someone tell me how to implement your plan?

2 answers

I will be able to solve my problem like this:

Rule 1

rule a.JPG

Then Rule 2 has trigger "Incoming webhook"

rule b.JPG

Rule 3 also has the same trigger

rule c.JPG

In this way, I organized a strict order of execution of my rules.

Hi @Andrey Rudnev 

For automation for Jira, the only way I know to enforce the order of triggering for a set of rules is to:

1. create the conditions in the order you want rules to execute
  2. and if you want one rule to trigger another, set the downstream rule's option to "Allow Rule Trigger"

For #1, that means creating conditions in your rule to make updates which lead to a trigger firing.  For example, if Rule-A updates an issue's fields, Rule-B's trigger checks for the update to the field of interest.

Of note: for such a use case it may be helpful to use the Re-fetch action after the trigger in the downstream rules.  This will reload the data and reduce the chance of timing issues where the issue data has not caught up with the prior changes.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Do you use Jira Cloud with Microsoft Teams?

Hi, Jira users! Do you use Jira alongside Microsoft Teams? We want to hear how you’ve used the power of Jira Cloud and Microsoft Teams (via the Jira Cloud for Microsoft Teams app) to achieve a team...

470 views 3 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you