Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three-layer nesting in Jira Work Management

Adam Westerby September 30, 2021

Reposting as the original question is marked solved so not getting traction on my reply-- is there a timeline for adding the ability within Jira Work Management to nest three levels of the hierarchy within the list view (as described here)? Chase originally indicated this would be coming this September, and am hoping to get an update on the timeline before we spend too much effort on the workaround.

Essentially what we're looking for is the ability to create an Epic > Task > Sub-task (or Epic > Story > Task) hierarchy that nests together within the list view. Currently there is only the ability to nest two levels (e.g. Epic > Sub-task).

3 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2021

I have not seen anything beyond that post. I expect it is the best source of truth at this his point. 

0 votes
Shan _SHPK_ January 17, 2024

Unfortunately Jira Work Management templates doesn't show three levels of records, but I did customize my project by bringing in Epic & Milestone/Story/Task (issue types) and then made my project plan look 3 layers of records (Epic -> Story/Milestone/Task -> Sub-Task), so far it works find in my List View, Board View & Calendar View.  

But unfortunately this doesn't work properly in the Timeline view.  In Timeline view, the Epic & the Child records doesn't nest each other, Epic might be displayed in the top of the Timeline view, while the Child records (Milestone/Task/Story, Sub Tasks) might be displayed some where down below in the view (underneath some other Tasks).  I have to manually drag and bring it under the Epic to view them together.

I hope Atlassian will work on bringing out of the box 3 level nested layers, like you mention, this is a deal breaker to bring in other teams that are using Monday.com or Microsoft Project Plan, Smartsheets ... etc.

0 votes
Josh McQueen May 2, 2022

@Chase Wilson Any update on this? I'm inheriting a team that is currently using Monday for project management. I would like to bring them into Work Management, but this is currently a deal-breaker for their processes. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2022

Jira Work Management only has Issue and Sub-task layers.

Jira Software implements Epics (but they work in JWM projects too, when you add Software to it)

Josh McQueen May 9, 2022

This still does not help what I am looking for. I need the ability to nest more than just an issue and sub-task. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events