Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Tasks nested under stories/epics?

Hi,

I'm planning a project that's not related to software (property-development and construction).

Happens to be that I'm a software developer myself (not in this project though), and I've been working with tools like DevOps and project management methodologies.

I have a project that divides in several phases each made up of smaller stages, each of them having a hierarchy tree of tasks and sub tasks.
The project has a more linear fashion although some parts can take place simultaneously.

Is there a way to achieve this with Jira Work Management?
Any template I should be using or tutorial I should be looking at?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Chase Wilson Atlassian Team Jul 13, 2021

Hi @weitzhandler , welcome! Jira Work Management now supports two levels of hierarchy on the Timeline view (issue --> subtask) with plans for three levels on the list in the next few months (epic --> issue --> subtask). Dependency mapping on the Timeline is also coming this week.

As for templates, I would suggest using the Project Management template since your workflow doesn't seem to be particularly complex in this case. Splitting work into Epics is probably best (which will entail adding the Epic issue type to the project you create).

Cheers!

Hey @Chase Wilson and thanks for your quick and detailed reply.

Would you suggest meanwhile starting with Jira Software until these features are implemented in Work Management?

Would it be able to migrate it from Software when time comes?

This is kind of a blocker to me in Work Management.

Chase Wilson Atlassian Team Jul 14, 2021

Checked with the team – if all goes well you should see Task --> Subtask on the list in the next couple of weeks and then Epic --> Task --> Subtask on the list about a month afterwards. 

Migration pains from Software to Work Management are increased by how custom your project is, so if the workflow and issue types are fairly standard I think the conversion should be fairly easy. 

Something that may tide you over in the meantime is that the Timeline view will soon accommodate Epic --> Task AND Task --> Subtask (but not all three at once).

Task > Subtask is already there.

Thanks for all your efforts and detailed input.

Hi @Chase Wilson , I am also waiting anxiously for the 3-tier Epic>Task>Subtask hierarchy in Work Management for my marketing task management project (currently operating in a software project), what is the best way to get notified when this specific functionality is launched?

Really I think we should actually be able to expand the tree to an unlimited depth of breasted subtasks all under a milestone under a story, all of which when completed, render their parents completed as well.

@weitzhandler is this an opinion or a functionality that is already active? ^

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Work Management

Atlympic Event: Jira Work Management

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

89 views 0 1
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you