Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable notifications for automated transitions only

Will Thompson July 31, 2021

Is there any way to disable notifications when an automation transitions an issue to a new status?  I have an automation that will transition a newly created issue from a "Request" status to a "To Do" status depending on the user role.  

Seems to be related to this question but not quite since I'm fairly certain that my notification is not coming from the automation directly: Disable emails from Automation for JIRA

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2021

Hi @Will Thompson

When a transition is made, Jira fires a generic event (via Post Functions). Jira listeners, listen to this event, and then send out notifications, according to your notification scheme. If you want to disable notification for a particular transition, one solution would be to change the event that is firing. In order to do that, you have to create a new event and then choose it in the post functions.

Let me know if you find any difficulties on implementing that.
Alex

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2021

Hi @Will Thompson !

Kindly provide feedback for me answer, and if that worked for you, mark my answer as accepted, so as to help other who are asking the same question.

Kind regards,
Alex

Will Thompson August 3, 2021

Thanks @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ but that doesn’t quite solve my issue. This particular transition can be triggered by both the automation and users. I only want to block notifications if the transition is triggered by the automation. If a user triggers the transition I’d still like the notification to be sent.

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2021

Well in that case, I would:

• Create TWO transitions within that workflow
  • One transition would have the CONDITION "Hide From User Condition", which I would use in my automation
  • On this transition on the workflow, I would change the notification event, so as not to sent any notification (this will solve your problem about blocking notifications if the transition is made by the automation)
  • I would create a similar transition, but this will be visible only to the users, excluding the automation. I would leave the event as generic (this will solve your problem of sending notifications, IF the transition is made by the user)

Will that work for you?
Alex 

Like Will Thompson likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events