switching from standard login to ldap login

Philipp Schmidt April 29, 2021

We have a standard installation of Jira on one of our servers. I would like to switch the login to LDAP login, so users are able to log in with their AD Username and password.

What happens with the user data and access rights when the user is login in with LDAP?

What I need to do, so the old user (no LDAP) and new user are getting merged and you have the same rights and access to data with the new LDAP login?

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

Dear @Philipp Schmidt ,

welcome to the community!

how can I make sure that I don't lose any data when users log in with LDAP in the future?

You won't lose any data adding another user directory. The different user directory are overlaying each other. But the do not overwrite.

Let's assume, that you have a user with username local-user1 (internal) and a ldap-user2 (ldap). Both would coexist and won't harm each other.

Now you got another ldap user called local-user1 (ldap). The order of the user directories is

1. internal
  2. ldap

In this case when login with local-user1, the interal credentials are verified. When you change the order to 

1. ldap
  2. internal

then the createntials of ldap will be taken. Removing ldap user directory would fall back to internal. Nothing will be deleted.

Jira will always take the first hit when searching in its user directories. Even when you have the same username in multiple user directories.

So long

Thomas

Philipp Schmidt June 14, 2021

thank you for your help, i managed to switch without big problems

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2021
Philipp Schmidt April 29, 2021

thank you a lot. Is the middle link my own tread?

The links bringing me to a lot of useful information, but I am still lost with my question.

how can I make sure that I don't lose any data when users log in with LDAP in the future?

Suggest an answer