search a feature to change the issuetype

Ronald Kopecky September 13, 2022

hi community

in my jira cloud instance I have four different issue types. the first issue type is a global and unspecific category. a filterlist shows (structure view) the issues with this issue type.

now I search a simple solution to change the issue type to another but without the jira assistent. only one click should change the issue type. 

Is there a possibility for this known?

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2022

There are two ways to change the issue type.

1. If the issue type field is placed on the "edit" screen, you can directly edit the issue type as though it is a simple select-list field.  You can only do this if the source and target issue types are configured identically 

2. By using "move issue"

This is because issue type is not a simple field, it's an inherently structural thing.  All the configuration hangs off the issue type.  If it were a house, a change of issue type is not something like "new furniture" or "change colour scheme", it's "change from a semi-detached to terraced"

Ronald Kopecky September 13, 2022

Hi Nic

all of my issue types are in the same project and within the same workflow and in the same schema. But I don't have a issue type field in my edit form? I don't know why?!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2022

You'll need an administrator to add the issue type "field" to the edit screen for the issue type

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2022

Hi @Ronald Kopecky ,

in my opinion the best way to do that is through a move operation. JIRA assistant is necessary beacause, changing the issue type you could have impact at field and workflow level so you should provide some information during that operation.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

0 votes
Ronald Kopecky September 15, 2022

thx for all answers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin