"There are no issue types with compatible field configuration"

Dustin Smith June 28, 2018

I get this message on every edit screen, not just JSD project:

There are no issue types with compatible field configuration and/or workflow associations.The issue type can only be changed by moving this issue.

I'm not trying to change the issue type, just edit the ticket.

Where do I begin to troubleshoot?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2018

This message is expected, You get it if the project have more then one issue type and they do not share the same workflow.  For example, I have projects that have three issue types and each have their own workflow, and you will see this message every time you edit an issue in the project.

message.png

ok thanks

5 votes
Mike McNamara November 25, 2019

In addition to the multiple workflow Accepted Answer, if your project only has 1 issue type (or 1 issue type plus sub-task), you will also get this message.

To avoid the message, consider removing the field "Issue Type" from your Edit screen configuration. It cannot be changed anyway (which is what the message is saying), so this will prevent that from appearing, making for a better UI experience.

Note that if you have a combined Edit/View screen (which is often the default), the View will still show the issue type. Alternatively copy the Edit/View screen and set up a separate Edit screen, especially of you only have certain fields you want to allow to be edited (i.e. maybe some fields can only be added or edited on a transition).

Hope this helps!

Karim Azkoul December 9, 2019

I was able to fix it by removing the issue type filed. Thanks

Like Tony Licavoli likes this
Artur Balyan _ Immedis September 2, 2022

I also had this exact error message when trying to transition to Not Needed. This was after I followed this guide (Best practices on using the "Resolution" field | Atlassian Cloud | Atlassian Documentation) to activate the Resolution status next to the Issue status. The proposed solution by Mike worked for me. Thanks!

Like Mike McNamara likes this
0 votes
Dimitris Haristos May 15, 2020

To be able to Edit Issue (or choose a different Issue Type) without getting the message:

Project Settings > Fields > Issue Types > Actions > Edit Fields > "Associate an issue type with a field configuration"

Choose accordingly, so that all your Issue Types share the same Field Configuration.

Cheers,
D.

Pavel Goldin November 10, 2020

Thank you! that was very helpful.

Like Dimitris Haristos likes this
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2018

this is odd. can you share a screenshot of where you are seeing this? Is this something that was working before?

2018-06-28_1742.png

I'm seeing this when clicking "edit" on a ticket and I see it happen under any project on the server.  I don't recall seeing this message before, but we only installed less than 2 weeks ago.

Suggest an answer