"Anonymous" is adding apps to our instance

Jason Cardinal October 27, 2020

Hi.  I'm trying to figure out which of my users is adding $$$ add-ons without.  When I check the Apps audit log, I see many things are being added by "anonymous" user.

Before I send a support ticket, is anybody else experiencing this?  

4 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2020

So the first question I have is how many users do you have that is either a site admin and/or trusted user? I don’t know of any log accessible to the site admin that would indicate which user added an addon. Needless to say you might wish to review your policy around giving out these roles.

0 votes
Nihar Kumar Dalai February 29, 2024

Hi Jason & others,

I have seen such entries in the Audit log for our Jira Cloud instance. I reached out to Atlassian to understand this better. I got a confirmation that most of these system installed or Jira installed add-ons are attributed to 'anonymous' user. This is actually a bad practice and can rightly trigger any Org admin.

I also see MP-74 
item .. you may go and vote for it.

Cheers,

Nihar

0 votes
Craig Schwarze _ProjectBalm_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 26, 2021

Hi Jason,

Did you ever get any answers around this issue? I'm asking because my organisation has had something similar happen.

thanks,
Craig

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2021

Who have you added as administrators?  It is one of those 3-10 people doing it.

Craig Schwarze _ProjectBalm_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 26, 2021

There are only two admins and neither of us installed Slack for Jira

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2020

Hi Jason,

may I ask you to name one or two apps that are affected by the effect you mentioned?

I logged in to my account a few seconds ago and despite I am the only one on this (test-)instance of Jira cloud I noticed entries like this:

Installed app Slack (jira-slack-integration version 1010.0.11-AC)
anonymous Oct 29 2020 1:36:14 PM

That leads me to the assumption that those are (new) elements that look like they were installed by a human but are automatic installations of/for the platform "Jira Cloud" as such.
Other entries I have in my own cloud instance are: Jira Spreadsheets, Automation, Slack.

Is there a possible match to your ones?

Thanks & Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders