mentioned users not getting notifications

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2020

Hi

We have users reporting that they are not getting the notications they expect when @mentioned in comments (Jira Software, data center)

It's an old question but no definitive answers.

This is how I think it works.

Jira only sends one notification per issue change. If you are a watcher, assignee or reporter, those notifications take precedence over the mentions. So I expect the users to get generic issue update emails in those cases.

Annoyingly, it seems that once a user comments they become a watcher and don't get the subsequent mentions they expect so it's perceived as something being broken.

Can anyone confirm or clarify this? Am I right?

Tom

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2020

Hello @Tom Lister

Thank you for reaching out.

Indeed, users added as watchers were not getting notified with the "Mentioned you" notification that is usually sent when mentioning a user, however, we got some good news for you:

As you can see in the feature request below, we changed the way that the mention notification works, so it will properly send the "mentioned you" notification even if the user is a watcher:

Mentioning a Watcher 

The update was added a few hours ago, so you can expect it to properly work in the next version of Jira (8.9).

Let us know if you have any questions.

Tom Lister May 26, 2020

Hi @Petter Gonçalves 

we have examples of the mention problem where users are not reporter, assignee of watchers.

Is that still caused by the feature request?

Tom

Steven Slezak April 30, 2021

Does this work in Confluence as well?

Jake Hewitt November 18, 2021

@Petter Gonçalves does this also apply to confluence?

Like Arthur likes this

Suggest an answer