@mention in ticket comments does not send email

Zach Block April 27, 2018

Hello all,

I'd like to have Jira notify the user I mention when commenting on a ticket

For example:

• [~ed] Can you provide the steps in which to reproduce this bug?

To get the lay of the land/understand our needs better:

1. The mentioned user is NOT assigned the ticket/issue
  2. They DID NOT report the issue or create the ticket/issue
  3. The user mentioned is NOT watching

How do I get the system to email the user WITHOUT adjusting the above scenario. 

Thanks for your help.

3 answers

0 votes
Zehra Atmaca April 23, 2021

Hi @Jack Brickey 

When tagging a person he does not receive notification. 

See below info about the person we want to tag:

- creator/reporter of the ticket via cp

- has site access

- no permissions to JSM project

- person appears in the list of suggestion when tagging him

But he does not receive a notification about the @mention. 

I've another case:

- she has site access

- no permissions to JSM project

- is no reporter 

- when trying to tag her, her name does even not appear in the list of suggestion.

@mentionning seems a bit complex. Is there any complete information about what and how to use and what the conditions are?

Thank you in advance.

Br.

0 votes
Zach Block April 29, 2018

@Jack Brickey

I ran through everything you mentioned (other than SPAM), and it all checked out. The events were correctly set for all. Short of looking into everyone's SPAM folder, I thought there has to be something else going on here. I decided to check the basic Application access settings and found the issue. Seven members had been removed from access of the Jira software. I'll have to look into why, but for now, I was able to grant them access, publish new events, and confirm they worked. I thank you very much for your efforts and support and hope to return the favor. All the best.

For those of you out there that might be experiencing the same thing, and are admins, here's where I made that adjustment:

Click on the hamburger menu (the three horizontal lines on the bottom left when you login) > Site Administration > Application access > Jira Software

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2018

First thing to check --> are they part of the project? to test this see if their name comes up if you attempt to assign the issue to them. To @mention someone they need to have access to the project.

I have checked and they are in fact part of the project

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2018

ok. so when you begin typing the @mention does their name show up in the list?

hit publish too soon...

if their name does display and can be selected then it should work. Can you confirm whether or not updating the issue results in notifications to others, e.g. assignee/watcher in accordance w/ the notification scheme? If that is working I would again test if the @mention person receives an email from Jira if they are the assign. If they do not and others did (as the assignee) then i would check spam folder.

Yes.

If I bring up a ticket,

Backlog > GS-123

then go the Comments section

type '@' then the first letter of their name

I immediately see their name pop-up at the top of the list. When I select the correct name, in this case Ed, the result is as follows:

[~ed]

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2018

ok so then if Ed doesn't receive an email on that @mention comment then check if he receives an email on being assigned. if he does then it isn't a spam situation if he doesn't then we can look back at Jira config issue. Do you know if anyone is able to receive an @mention email?

I mentioned 9 separate people in the room here, and no one got an email. The only place my mention shows up (not at all obvious -> hence I want them to recive an email) is the Jira notification area.

If I assign them a ticket, they also do not receive an email. The last email someone received was back on the 15th or so. Since, I do not have control over the co's SPAM settings, I'll only be able to work with the Jira settings. 

Your help is much appreciated

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2018

Ok so it isn’t an @mention issue if no one is getting notifications even when assigned. 

Given that you received notifications prior to 15th then either something has changed with notifications in JIRA or in your IT spam filtering. 

Please use Jira‘s Notification Helper to assess if Jira is setup to send notifications when an issue is assigned to a user. If it is, then you should check with IT and have them check spam filter for blocked issues from Jira. Also have user check their junk folder just in case.

final question you should consider - are ANY notifications being received by anyone under any event, e.g. issue created, comments, resolved, for ANY projects. Inspect the notifications scheme for the project in question. Are there other admins for Jira other than yourself? I’m assuming here that you are a system admin. If not, please discuss this with them. 

Suggest an answer