jira can not start after increase jira memory in service.bat file

fabby July 22, 2012

my jira(jira instance A) crashes,and the following appears in the atlassian-jira.log:

2012-7-20 10:54:48 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher invoke
Serious: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

so i

1 increase JvmMs to 512 , JvmMx to 1024
2 service.bat remove

3 service.bat install

4 then resart jira

jira started but after few seconds,it down.i can no longer start jira

so i have to reset jvm parameters to its default value,JvmMs to 128,JvmMx to 512.

i find the following lines in setenv.bat file.

set JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY=256m
set JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY=768m

can't i increase the jvm values in serveice.bat lager than the values in setenv.bat file?

but in another jira instance B,i only set --JvmMs 256 --JvmMx 800 in service.bat,and it can successfully started.

jira A and jira B are all installed on the same server,and there are still 7433 MB physical memory available in this server.

jira A and jira B are of the same version,jira standalone 4.4.1.

1 answer

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2012

Hi Fabby,

Try to put the JvmMs and JvmMx at the same value for example 768m and see if the issue persist.
Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

fabby July 29, 2012

hi Septa,

i tried to set JvmMs to 1024 , JvmMx to 1024 or JvmMs to 1000 , JvmMx to 1000.jira crashes after few seconds.

but when set to JvmMs to 256 , JvmMx to 768 ,jira is successfully running.

fabby December 13, 2012

i run three jira service on the same server before.and now only one jira is in using,i mean the other two are still running,but no one is using them.

and the using jira is now running normally,i.e. not often crash once a month,and should restart.

so i guess

Setting the -Xmx above the available amount on the server runs the risk of OutOfMemoryErrors due to lack of physical memory. If that occurs the system will use swap space, which greatly decreases performance.(https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/How+to+Fix+Out+of+Memory+Errors+by+Increasing+Available+Memory#HowtoFixOutofMemoryErrorsbyIncreasingAvailableMemory-guidance

Suggest an answer