issue ranking on multiple boards

shane_m September 18, 2017

With the same set of issues, Is it possible to rank them one way on one board, and then a different way on another board?

2 answers

4 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2017

No, native issue ranking is a global value. However, you can use a customfield other than Rank, and populate it with values yourself and have the UI sort by that field. I don't think that Drag and Drop to rank will work if you do this.

shane_m September 18, 2017

Thanks, Boris. Drag and drop is, of course, the thing that I want.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2017

I can confirm what Boris said.  The drag and drop only works for the ranking field, and that is global, not board dependent.

0 votes
DanielP January 11, 2019

You guys are right.

1.  You can have one item on two boards.  And if you rank Item1 has the first Rank in your Board, it will be the first Rank in your Structures, etc.  Ridiculous.  
2.  If you do not ORDER BY Rank, you can have a manual field that acts as priority.  Then you can sort, assuming numeric.

3.  But you completely lose drag and drop in the board, structures, user story maps, etc.  Which essentially brings the solution back to the early days of Windows.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2019

Um.

1.  It's nonsense to have an item that is ranked differently against other things just because you're looking at it differently.

2. Yep

3.  Correct, because drag and drop (and other functions) must have a field to keep the order data in, and that field must be order-able (not just sortable, but order-able).  Rank is the only field in Jira that is fully order-able.

Let me give you an example:

• Issue 1:  Priority 2
  • Issue 2:  Priority 2
  • Issue 3:  Priority 2

What is their order?  Do not assume that the rule I am imagining is alphabetic or based on the order I have written them there - it is not.

Andrea Ryan October 8, 2019

Its not nonsense to need different rank views.  We have a global new feature request project where all new requests are ranked, but at any given time we need to pull out specific epics or feature groups from that board and filter them to another project board where they will be mixed into that project's work.  They would then be ranked differently in that context.  It is a huge inefficiency that every time I move the ticket in rank on one board it moves it on the other, making it appear to change its rank incorrectly somewhere.  This has been common everywhere I have worked, so it is ridiculous that the system doesn't allow for it.

Like Mike Larson likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2019

I'm afraid it is.  Let's imagine you and I are looking at 5 things that need doing.   You see one ranking for them, I see a different one.  Immediately, you have nonsense because we can't agree on what the order should be.  That is the precise opposite of what you want from a ranking field - your product owners only have one view of the list, and if it changes because we look at it differently, it's nonsense to them.

Your pulling out and filtering will work fine though, that's how it's intended to be used.

Like Darlene_Jeter likes this

Suggest an answer