issue ranking on multiple boards

With the same set of issues, Is it possible to rank them one way on one board, and then a different way on another board?

2 answers

No, native issue ranking is a global value. However, you can use a customfield other than Rank, and populate it with values yourself and have the UI sort by that field. I don't think that Drag and Drop to rank will work if you do this.

Thanks, Boris. Drag and drop is, of course, the thing that I want.

I can confirm what Boris said.  The drag and drop only works for the ranking field, and that is global, not board dependent.

0 votes
DanielP I'm New Here Jan 11, 2019

You guys are right.

1.  You can have one item on two boards.  And if you rank Item1 has the first Rank in your Board, it will be the first Rank in your Structures, etc.  Ridiculous.  
2.  If you do not ORDER BY Rank, you can have a manual field that acts as priority.  Then you can sort, assuming numeric.

3.  But you completely lose drag and drop in the board, structures, user story maps, etc.  Which essentially brings the solution back to the early days of Windows.

Um.

1.  It's nonsense to have an item that is ranked differently against other things just because you're looking at it differently.

2. Yep

3.  Correct, because drag and drop (and other functions) must have a field to keep the order data in, and that field must be order-able (not just sortable, but order-able).  Rank is the only field in Jira that is fully order-able.

Let me give you an example:

• Issue 1:  Priority 2
  • Issue 2:  Priority 2
  • Issue 3:  Priority 2

What is their order?  Do not assume that the rule I am imagining is alphabetic or based on the order I have written them there - it is not.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Wednesday in Jira

Make your Atlassian Cloud products more secure: our NEW admin security guide

Hey admins! I’m Dave, Principal Product Manager here at Atlassian working on our cloud platform and security products. Cloud security is a moving target. As you adopt more products, employees consta...

62 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you