hyperlinked smart commit comments?

Jonas Steinberg February 24, 2021

I have smart commits enabled and working, but I was expecting my smart commit comments to be hyperlinks back to my actual version control commits; they are not.  How can I get this working?  Maybe it involves something else besides smart commits?

1 answer

1 vote
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2021

Hello @Jonas Steinberg ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If I understand correctly what you are saying, when a comment is added to a Jira issue using smart commits, you would like to have a link pointing to the commit in your source management tool added to the comment as well.

If this is correct, then this feature is not available at the moment and I can proceed creating a Feature Request on your behalf since, at this current point in time, you only find the links to the commits if you open the the development panel associated to the Jira issue:

Dev-panel-01.jpgDev-panel-commits.jpg

Otherwise, if my understanding is not correct, please provide more details on what you are trying to achieve.

Cheers,
Dario

Jonas Steinberg March 3, 2021

@Dario B I'm pretty sure this exact feature has been requested at least once already, if not multiple times before.  I'm quite surprised that it does not already exist as it seems trivial to handle.

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2021

Hi @Jonas Steinberg ,

I couldn't find any open Feature Request for this in Jira Cloud. However, I cannot exclude that a similar FR exists for Jira Server or that one for Cloud existed but it was closed because it didn't get enough traction, and maybe that's the one you are referring to. 

For the rest, can you please clarify your use-case?

I am asking because I believe that, having an issue with a lot of comments, it should be more desirable/easier to have access to all the links to the commits (whether they added a comment or not) in one place rather than having to scroll through the issue activity to look for the specific comment that has the link to the commit. 

Cheers,
Dario

Johannes Schock July 7, 2022

I just started working with Jira and Bitbucket and I wondered also about the lack of hyperlinks to commits in the comment thread of an issue.

I agree that showing each commit might be a bit distracting, but nevertheless if using smart commits with #comment the corresponding commit should be linked, because comment and commit  belong directly to each other.

Can you please point me to the Feature Request list?

Regards, Johannes

Like sh_han likes this
sh_han September 13, 2023

It's a really necessary function.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events