how to insert Cycle time to Task

Lucia Sedlakova May 13, 2020

Hello there,

I would need to measure Cycle time (Work in progress) and Cycle time (Backlog) for Agile team tool data collection purposes. This was previously done in RTC tool, I am new to JIRA and can not find this in our project area/issue type

For what I see in Jira, when I assign a 'task', there is no option to select any column which would calculate this .

WIP - time from Planned-In progress-Done

Backlog - how much time 'Task' was in Backlog

I've read some instruction here on Control chart, but I do not thing this covers what and need (only partially) I did not even find the option do download mine selections to report .

Is there a way how to find this info, or this is not part of JIRA yet?

Thank you so much for your answer in advance!

3 answers

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 19, 2020

Hi @Lucia Sedlakova ,

You can use Status Time add-on. It generates status time report based on your working calendar.

StatusDurations-M.jpg

If you are looking for a free add-on, you can try the free version, Status Time Free.

Hope it helps

0 votes
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 15, 2020

Hi @Lucia Sedlakova 

As the alternative solution, you can try add-on Time Between Statuses from Atlassian Marketplace.

Using this tool, you can measure the Cycle time, Lead time and other execution time between statuses. To get it you just need to configure start, pause and stop statuses. Data about Cycle time you can monitor from Issue View Panel and on the add-on reports.

Additionally, this plugin lets you set time limits and notifications for branched issues. 

Hope it will help you

Lucia Sedlakova May 18, 2020

I will check, thank you very much :)

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
May 13, 2020

Hello @Lucia Sedlakova ,

Jira does not provide way to report on Lead Time or Cycle Time, out of the box.

As you pointed out, Control Chart, that is available as a report in Kanban Boards of Jira Software, might be of use.

While using a Kanban Board, you map your workflow statuses to board columns and to use the Control Chart to see Cycle Time, you can define a board column to group workflow statuses that correspond to your Cycle Time definition. The downside is: Control Chart is targeted more towards the overall picture. It shows averages and standard deviation but it is hard to work with individual issues on it.

Our team at OBSS built Time in Status app for this need. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud and Data Center.

Time in Status allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or assigned to each assignee (and much more). You can combine statuses into consolidated columns to see metrics like Cycle Time or Lead Time.

The app has custom calendar support so you can get your reports based on a 24/7 calendar or your custom business calendar. (This one is important because a 24/7 calendar in most cases shows misleading data. For example an issue created at 16:00 on Friday and was resolved at 09:00 on next Monday seems to stay open for 2,5 days but in terms of business hours, it is only a few hours. You can see this using Time in Status by OBSS.)

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see average InProgress time per project and per issuetype.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API.
  • See Time in Status data and charts for each issue as a tab on issue view screen.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

EmreT

Lucia Sedlakova May 13, 2020

This is great, this would cover more likely my needs. Time in Status is at least something.

Many thanks for your help

I will try to present this to the team and will see in the future how it works

Thank you.

Suggest an answer