how to import subtask in Jira Software(Cloud)

Terry Han December 15, 2020

I just use Excel fille which input some field(about some Assignee, Sprint, ), but during the importing period, system mentioned Assigness who can't import it. So plesase help me solve and give me solution ASAP.

and at the same time, cold you teach me how to input subtask into system? Can you give me example file for excel format which include some fields(Sprint, Summary, ParentID, Subtask format)

Thanks in advance.

Br

Terry

4 answers

0 votes
Terry December 16, 2020

thanks guy, I have tried to use your way to import, the subtask has been imported, but these tasks haven't been imported according to my assigned story or task below. Could you tell me where I can find Story or Task's id in the Jira system? Please review below pic and help me fix it. Thanks again.

TH

Terry December 16, 2020

error.jpg

Terry December 16, 2020

I want to import subtask under Story or Task below by Excel file directly, is it possible at the same time?

Thanks

TH

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

To import subtasks against existing parent issues, give the key of the parent as the map-able parent ID

Terry December 17, 2020

I know this, but could you tell me where is the key of the parent ID according to up picture(error.jpg)? can u give me screen shot for eg. ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

The picture is too small to see, but the issue key is on the right hand side of each backlog item line.

Terry December 17, 2020

please review attached. if my format is right? (SSB2-42 is Jira system' story ID, in the excel file, below Parent ID this column, I write 'SSB2-42' here? It means Parent ID?)pic ID for story.png

Terry December 17, 2020

i try to use picture example, but failure. System always prompt, please match column in the excel for Parent ID. So please help me. Thanks.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2020

A very simple example that does actually work:

summary, type, parent id
item 1, item, 111
item 2, item, 222
item 3 (part of item 1), subtask, 111
item 4 (part of item 2), subtask, 222
item 5, item, 333
item 6 (part of item 1), subtask, 111

This will import 3 issues (item 1, 2 and 5), and 3 subtasks (2 parts of item 1 and 1 part of item 2).  Note that the "parent id" is totally independent of Jira data, and although it will be imported into the "external id" field, it's not real data, it is just there to indicate subtask ownership.

0 votes
Terry December 16, 2020

Hi,

Thanks man in advance, could you give me example for Excel format file which include story or task, and their sub-task field example? That I could understand whole format when I input them into system.

Thanks again.

TH

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2020

If it can't import assignee, the most likely explanation is that the mappings you have done do not match users correctly.

Subtasks are imported the same way as standard issues, but you have to give them an extra field that defines the parent issue for them, and map that to the parent field during import. I'm assuming you are importing sub-tasks after you've got their parent issues in.  You can actually do task + sub-task in one sheet, but that's a bit complex and I don't think you've asked for the essay on it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events