Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

how to fix bad word breaks in JIRA?

I'm working in JIRA.  I'm writing paragraphs.  For words at the end far right of the line, JIRA arbitrarily breaks the word into nonsense "syllables" that are very confusing to look at.   For example, it might break "the" into "th" plus "e."   Other than switching to "old view" (which does not arbitrarily break words), how to fix?  Is there a setting somewhere?

3 answers

I think I'm onto something.  I was wrong before when I said that the problem happens in every field.  Actually, the problem only happens in the field "User Story." 

What is different about that field?  In my JIRA, that field is the only one without editing tools (the toolbar that sits at the top of the field).  

Who defines which fields receive editing tools?  Atlassian?  My local JIRA admin?

Ah, that's interesting.

Two things to check:

1) What type of field is it?   I mean the exact type the admin UI shows, not just that it looks like a plain text.

2)  Go to the project's "field configuration" and check what "renderer" the field has (if any)

Like Joe Harris likes this
0 votes

Hmm.  Am I right in thinking this looks like you are hitting return in the middle of the word?  (I'm not saying you are, just that is what the problem looks like)

What happens when you shrink the browser window so that the field starts to compress, which would shift the soft line breaks around?  Do words jump down as the field narrow down, or does the break in the word move to the next word?

Also, have you tried a different browser, and what fields does this happen in?  (Comment, Description, Environment - all the long text fields for example, or is it limited to just one)

I can't replicate this problem 

Yes, it looks like I am arbitrarily hitting return in the middle of the word.  But I am not doing that.  JIRA is breaking up the word.

Like I say, the problem does not happen in "old view."  This makes me think that me problem is with the "new view."

If I shrink the browser window down, I get the same wonky behavior--just with different words.

The problem happens in all the fields (Description, User Story, etc.).

I only have one browser, so I can't test other browsers.  :(

Ok, the fact the space moves through the middle of the words on resizing tells us that there is something wrong with your browser.

It is possible to cause CSS to do this, but neither the old nor new views do it.  (Open the page where it is happening, and select "view source" - it's a wall of text, but it does not contain any of the directives that you'd have to set to cause this to happen - look for min-content and overflow-wrap)

So, I'm afraid your browser is injecting something, or has a word-wrap function that's set poorly.

The problem doesn't happen in JIRA's "Old View." If I switch to "Old View," then everything is fine.

The problem doesn't happen with any other website--only with the "new view" for JIRA.  Since I only encounter the problem with the "new view" for JIRA, I assume that the problem is due to the "new view" for JIRA.

It's definitely something in the new view that is triggering it, but that doesn't necessarily mean incorrect code in Jira. 

I can't replicate the problem in any of the main browsers I use, even when using them with piles of extensions, and the code you get back from Jira for your browser to render is not set up to allow this (the data you are getting from Jira to tell the browser how to draw it breaks on words, not letters).  

I'm afraid all we can tell you is that there's something broken in your browser - either the browser or one of its extensions.  The way to prove that is to try another browser (either the same machine or a different one, but ideally the same machine)

I can confirm that the behavior happens with both Chrome and Firefox.  Also, for both browsers, the behavior only happens in "new view."  "Old view" is fine.  

Same behavior happens with both Mac and PC.

I have co-workers who confirm the behavior.

Ok, so how are your company using Cloud differently to the rest of the world?

Yes, that is the question.  Do you have any ideas? 

I've looked around at various settings, but I can't find anything.

I'm completely stuck, without being able to replicate it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,119 views 34 44
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you