how to convert excel sheet to jira items

ardian.krivca June 14, 2022

I have an existing "initiative" (i.e. initiative-123). I need to convert an excel sheet (over 500 rows) into this initiative (not sure if I want child issues or subtasks), I am no jira expert.

how do I convert all these excel records and upload them under my initative-123? I came across this link Import data from a CSV file | Atlassian Support but does it apply to uploading to an initiative or does it not matter?

Thank you 

3 answers

2 votes
Alex Ortiz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2022

@ardian.krivca 

You have a couple options here.

First, you can do what @Yash Raj recommended which is prepare a CSV file with the appropriate linking and then do the bulk import.  Please keep in mind that you'll need to be a site admin to import.  If this is tricky, I have a second option for you.

Import all the issues (I'm pretty sure they need to be Epics, but not sure since I don't know how you have your Issue hierarchy set up).  When you are preparing your csv (excel) file, make sure you add a label so that you can quickly look up your 500 issues after you import them.  Once they are all imported, search for your label and it should return your 500 issues.  From there, go to bulk edit and edit the issues. You are going to want to add a parent link to the issues which will be the key for your initiative.  

I have a video briefly explaining this.  You'll want to start at around the 36 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51-LxSMioOE&t=4s. Hope it helps! 

ardian.krivca June 17, 2022

1. Just watched your video, I feel like a celebrity :) 

2. very good point about adding a label, I will try to add that in my upload.

Thank you

Alex Ortiz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2022

Happy to help.  Did you subscribe??  

Happy to help.  Did you subscribe?? 

I certainly will :) 

I think I will do this from a slightly different approach. Here is my layout , the way I want to import the data...

• initiative  (initiative-123)  already exists
    • EPIC  (EPIC-123)   already exists
      • Task <-----there is where i want to import all my excel data (tasks?). 

Initiative-123 & EPIC-123 already exist in JIRA. Can I import my data under my EPIC-123? If so, how do I mention in excel to roll these up under EPIC-123? This is the part that is confusing me.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2023

Hi @ardian.krivca  - Did you ever get this accomplished? 

0 votes
Yash Raj June 14, 2022

Hi @ardian.krivca 

have you exported Jira issue to excel ? 

so if you want to import the data from excel to Jira " initiative-123" then you need to mention

the same reference number to all the epics or tasks to get associated with " initiative-123".

Make sure you have the saved the file as CSV and use it to import

ardian.krivca June 16, 2022

have you exported Jira issue to excel ? 

No, these are new issues I am creating in excel. I want to take these issues and import into jira.

For example, here is a sample of what I am trying to do. Notice I have 5 issues that I want them to be EPIC's that roll up under the initative-123. Is this how I would do it?

Capture.JPG

Alex Ortiz
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2022

You are close.

You need to define a unique epic name.  I usually call it the same thing as the summary of the epic.

From there, I would recommend you add a labels column and name it something like import_date_of_import.

Once imported, all you need to do is bulk update and update the parent-link to = the initiative-123

if you dont mind, can you please show me a example?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events