Why the attached video file is recognized as a music file?

Jiebyoung Park November 18, 2021

From some point on, if I attach a video file, it often is recognized as a music file.

In this case, when I try to play this video file just by clicking in the page, it plays as a music. so I should download and play it in the local.

20211119_Friday_111140.png

2 answers

0 votes
Muhammad Awais September 17, 2023

@Jiebyoung Park 

The attached video file may be recognized as a music file due to factors like file format, metadata, and content.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2021

This usually happens when the file's metadata announces it as an audio file.

Jiebyoung Park November 21, 2021

This symptom irregularly happened to the files I recorded. and when I open these files  after downloading it, they were played as video file.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2021

Have you told your operating system to treat files announced as video files, as video files?

No, i didn't do any specific work for them. and I am not the only one find this problem. all other people can open the files when they download them, but cannot play them as video in the Jira system.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2021

Ok, so how about telling your OS to treat video files as videos?

Jira attachments really are just blobs of data, it is not a media player and all it is doing here is presenting attachments to people who ask for them.

If you want to play certain files as videos, that's fine, just tell your OS to treat downloaded vidoes as videos.

Im not sure this problem is being caused by OS setting. Although the file has same format(extension Ex>mp4), Jira auto player recognize them as music or video inconsistently. (sometimes  music, sometimes video) but, after being download to the local system, they plays as video. and as i said, this symptom was not before. And, it could be quite troublesome the user should download the attached file to see them everytime.
Usually, I and other users check the video using the Jira Player.

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 23, 2021

Hi @Jiebyoung Park where are your videos coming from?

Might be the codec used in whatever tool you're creating the video in?

Jiebyoung Park November 23, 2021

Hi @Owen Wallis 

Usually, I attach the video created by ShareX.

I also suspect this symptom could be caused by a kind of codec as you mentioned.

But, it is weird that this symptom is occurring irregularly with the video created by same program and with the same way these days (since around 2 months ago?) and as I said, there is no problem when playing them in local PC after download.

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 23, 2021

Agree it's weird. I'm not familiar with ShareX, perhaps it changes the codecs it uses from time to time?

I checked out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TkZLCfrPB8 - h264 is a codec which should work fine. So try that for a while. If you're still having issues let me know.

Okay, it could be a workaround. I will try it. Thanks!

Hi @Owen Wallis 

I confirmed the code was already set to H.264. as follows.

20211124_Wednesday_143232.png

For reference, this symptom happens in not only Jira system but also Confluence as follows. (Not always same as Jira)

20211124_Wednesday_143854.png

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
November 28, 2021

@Jiebyoung Park thanks for this. I confirmed with my team, it is a bug on our side. We're due to have a fix rollout in late December. So hopefully should be working as normal in the New Year.

The fix will only apply to newly uploaded files though.

Jiebyoung Park January 3, 2022

@Owen Wallis 

just a gentle reminder, It seems that this issue is not yet fixed.

I confirmed the uploaded video was recognized as a music in Jira system a few minute ago.

20220103_Monday_194728.png

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2022

Hi @Jiebyoung Park thanks for this. Sorry for the delay. Unfortunately it transpires that this is related to another area we're working on. So its going to be later in Feb/early March when a fix will be going live. Apologies.

Jiebyoung Park January 19, 2022

Hi @Owen Wallis 

Thanks for the update. I will look forward to solving the problem.

Like Owen Wallis likes this
Dmitriy Ushakov March 31, 2022

Hi! @Owen Wallis 
Has the fix been released yet?
I'm seeing the same problem with attaching a video file.

Jiebyoung Park May 4, 2022

@Owen Wallis 

It seems not yet resolved.

Frankly speaking, it's really making the user frustrated.

As you know, this is a regression issues and very common & basic function we are using usually. I think this should be fixed as soon as possible. I really hope to hear it has been fixed.

Thanks.

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
June 8, 2022

Hi @Jiebyoung Park sorry for the delay. I can understand the frustration.

The issue was fixed a few weeks ago. It only works for newly uploaded files though.

Are you having trouble with older files?

Jiebyoung Park June 8, 2022

Hi @Owen Wallis ,

Thanks, good to hear that. I am not sure it was fixed completely. but I haven't got this trouble recently. It seems to be resolved. Thanks!!

Suggest an answer