Why "Backlog" issues not according to "Issue type Hierarchy"

Daniel Shukrun August 30, 2022

Issue type hierarchy.png

in the Backlog view I see a mix of the Stories (child of an Epic) and the Features (parent of an Epic)

Backlog hierarchy.png

What can I do to have the Backlog board display the issues in the Hierarchy I defined in the "Issue type Hierarchy" settings ?

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rik de Valk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2022

Hi @Daniel Shukrun ,

The hierarchy is used in Advanced Roadmaps. So if you open a Plan (roadmap) you will see the full breakdown.

But the backlog is considered (implicitly) a Product Backlog. It is meant to plan and track the Stories. The Epic panel is there to easily assign Stories to Epics and to filter the Backlog based on their Epic.

So a best practice - in my opinion - would be to exclude the level above the Epic in the Scrum Board for your product backlog. And create a separate kanban to manage your Features.

Unfortunately the Product backlog in Jira doesn't allow to show the full hierarchy breakdown as Azure DevOps does.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2022

Hello @Daniel Shukrun 

Welcome to the community.

Issues in the Backlog list are displayed based on Rank, not hierarchy.

The built in functionality of Jira does include the Epics pane to allow you to separate the Epics from the child stories, but there is nothing built in for the Backlog screen to separate additional higher hierarchy levels.

If you want to not show the Feature issues, you would need to change the filter for the board to exclude that issue type.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events