Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Why is the version report gadget being retired?

The most useful indicator on my dashboards is the version report gadget.  In one graphic it shows all stakeholders the progress towards the committed features in the next version.  It motivates developers as they can see the progress towards their medium term goals.

Today Jira Software Cloud is showing the message "The Version Report gadget will be retired soon on Dashboards. You can still access your Version Report by navigating to the Reports feature inside your Project."

Why is this very useful feature being retired?  There is no similar gadget for epics, so that isn't an option.  There is not even a gadget for providing links to reports, so I have to educate stakeholders on how to navigate to a project and its reports.  This seems a big backward step for the usefulness of dashboards.

4 answers

0 votes
elizabeth_jones Community Leader Jun 24, 2021

I now use Advanced Roadmaps to track and share progress to versions. Is this an option for you?

Thanks for the suggestion Elizabeth.  I can see from the Advanced Roadmaps documentation that people can visually see progress towards a release.

The version report gadget shows a lot more than a Gantt bar because it is two dimensional.  It tells a story about scope change, velocity, disruptions, etc.  I like the transparency that brings.

I think Advanced Roadmaps would double the cost of our Jira licence and give stakeholders less clarity.

The Version Report will still be available under Reports. If you are using a Kanban board, simply create a Sprint board and you will be able to see the Version Report in the Sprint board's Reports even if you aren't using the Sprint board.

Thanks Peter.  I am already using Sprint boards and access to the Version Report is not the problem.

The problem is that the Version Report Gadget will not be available for dashboards.  The whole purpose of dashboards is to make it easy to communicate progress to stakeholders without requiring them to navigate around Jira.  You can't even link to the Version Report directly from a dashboard!  I am not aware of Atlassian's rationale for removing this very useful gadget.

Like # people like this

The whole purpose of dashboards is to make it easy to communicate progress to stakeholders without requiring them to navigate around Jira.

Sounds like a pain point. Sorry to hear that. The only workaround I can think of is linking the stakeholder to the report. But yeah, this might complicate their experience since they'll now have a lot of features and options in front of them.

Like Derek Campbell likes this
0 votes

So you CAN link/add the Version Report in Confluence and use a Confluence Page to report against the Version Report. 

@Derek Campbell - agreed, this was a lovely little gadget I used often, I'd love to know the WHY Atlassian are removing this too. 

@atlassian-qe ??

Would also love to know why this is being removed. We use dashboards for high level update meetings regarding product development and the version report gadget is provides vital information. Having to click through to a report in a Jira project defeats the point of a dashboard. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

🚦 Zephyr Squad-Marketplace Apps Atlympics ⚽

Hi Atlympics, have you tried this add-on for Jira- "Zephyr Squad". If not than it's one of the known and popular plugin for  test management activities. Link to the plugin: zephyr squad&...

9 views 0 0
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you