Why do task under epics, or subtask under task appear to be done on the status bar when they'r to do

ryan November 26, 2020

HI, 

I'm using the next gen version of jira

When I create a task under an epic, or a sub-task under a task, the status/progress bar indicates that the task is complete while it was just created and still in 'To do'. Then as the task progresses from 'To do' to 'In progress' to 'Closed' the status/progress bar goes in reverse. In the sense that when the ticket related to the task/sub-task is closed, it then indicates that 0% progress has been made on the task.

Its exactly opposite to what it should be.

I believe this is a bug and needs to be reported.

1 answer

0 votes
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2020

Hi @ryan 

Welcome to the Community!

Do you have a screenshot showing the issue you're facing?

Thanks, Liam

ryan November 26, 2020

Hey @Liam Green

Thanks!

I've attached 2 screen shots:

Both show a list of child issues (tasks) related to a epic called "Deployment".

In the first, you'll see that all child issues are marked 'To do', but the progress bar says that all child issues are j100% complete. 

Then in pic 2, I've marked one of the child issues as in review, and then the progress bar moves to 85% complete.

Ryan

ryan November 26, 2020

Screenshot from 2020-11-27 08-05-32.pngScreenshot from 2020-11-27 08-06-09.png

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2020

Hi @ryan 

Thanks for the screenshots.  It looks like a set up issue, and that your 'done' status is called 'To Do'.  What happens if you mark everything as 'done'?

Like ryan likes this
ryan November 27, 2020

@Liam Green 

Ah, I see. Your right. I have my to do marked with a done status in my workflow. Trying to change that now, but struggling as jira requires at least one stage in your workflow to be marked with the 'Done' status at all times, which means i can't change the 'to do' stage's status to something else before assigning the 'Done' status to another step in my workflow. But the problem is that I can't assign the 'Done' status to another stage before removing it from the 'To do' status. 

Sorry if that just confusing, but its essentially a circular error where I need to do something to fix something else, but I am unable to do that thing before fixing the problem in question.

Thanks again

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2020

@ryan No problem.  Try setting your In Review stage as your 'To do' in the mean time then change them all around.

If I've solved your problem, feel free to mark my answer as 'accepted'.

Regards, Liam

ryan November 27, 2020

Unfortunately, jira is not allowing me to do that. I believe its because it will upset the current ticket assignments to to do etc. 

Doesn't seem to be a fix for this once your further along on your project.

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2020

Could you create two new statuses (called Temp1 and Temp2 for example) - then move all your 'to do' tasks to Temp1 and all your 'done' tasks to Temp2.

That way you will have 2 empty columns - then you can move your columns around as needed and then move your tasks back to the correct column and delete Temp1 and 2.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events