Why do issue change notifications come from different email addresses?

Daniele Margaroli May 3, 2019

I can't understand how some notification ( issue modified) come from this email address: jira@<ourdomain>.atlassian.net and some other notification, (always for issued modified) come from jira@mail-us.atlassian.net.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Daniele

2 answers

0 votes
Romain Lapoux July 2, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves Same problem for one of our client on your cloud environment. Could you create all required mail settings for this e-mail address jira@mail-us.atlassian.net to avoid go directly in spam?

Like create an A and reverse entry in DNS for domain mail-us.atlassian.net, because anti-spam said "Sender address rejected: Domain not found".

And maybe SPF/DKIM/DMARC features.

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2019

Hello Daniele,

Taking some time to investigate and think about your issue, there are two reasons that came to my mind which can explain different e-mail senders for notifications from your JIRA instance:

1 - Change the e-mail sender on the notification scheme

You can configure the sender address for a project by navigating to the project > Project settings > Notifications > Click to edit the e-mail field:

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 19.39.17.png 

2 - Customer notifications in a Service Desk project have a different e-mail sender

For customer notifications in Service Desk projects, the address used is configured in project settings > Email requests

If both scenarios above are not applicable to you, can you please provide us what both notifications from both addresses have in common and what is different? 

Also, check if there are any specific actions that trigger each of the notifications sent from different senders.

For reference to the information provided, you can check both documentations below:

Configuring email notifications - JIRA Software

Configuring service desk notifications

Let us know if this information helps.

Daniele Margaroli May 7, 2019

Hi Petterson,
thanks for your answer.
We use Jira Core with one Business Project that use Default Notification Scheme. 
I will try to modify the e-mail sender and I will do some tests.

I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Daniele

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 7, 2019

You are welcome, Daniele.

We will be waiting for your reply to know if our answer has helped you or we will need to further troubleshoot it. :)

Daniele Margaroli May 20, 2019

Hi @Petter Gonçalves

I've discovered some details about this problem. 
Emails that arriving from jira@mail-us.atlassian.net are detected as spam. I accepted the sender and the e-mails now arrive with the correct address (jira@ourdomain.atlassian.net). The thing I still don't understand is why only some notifications have this behavior. 

Suggest an answer