Why do I get an error every time I try to add a sub-task?

Genevieve DeRose May 27, 2020

I have read through multiple posts in this community and still have not been able to find an answer. I have been working on a board in which creating sub-tasks was working fine, and then all of the sudden I get a "connection error" and I'm unable to add sub-tasks. I restarted this project 3 times because I kept getting this error. My sub-tasks are enabled, I have permission, I feel like I've checked absolutely everything, yet it's still not working.

It works for other projects just fine, but it just stopped working for this one. 

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 28, 2020

Hello @Genevieve DeRose

Welcome to the Atlassian Community. Sorry to see you are facing an issue to create sub-tasks.

Please, check the steps below so we can better troubleshoot the problem:

1. If a project has a default assignee but the default assignee does not have the assignable user permission or is deactivated, you will be prompted with a generic connection error when creating a subtask through the new issue view, as described in the links below:
    Generic error message in the new view when creating a subtask
    Unable to create Sub-Tasks if the default assignee is a deactivated user 
    That being said, can you check if the default assignee under project settings > Details have the "assignable user permission"?
  2. What is the exact error message returned to you when trying to create the sub-task? Are there any errors returned in the development tools of your browser when reproducing the error?
  3. Can you confirm if the problem is happening only for you or there are other users also facing it?
  4. Can you confirm if the create screen of the sub-task issue type is configured with any required fields?

Let us know if you have any questions.

Patrick Roberts January 18, 2021

@Petter Gonçalves 

I am currently experiencing this issue.  A user was able to create subtasks just fine one day and the next in two projects she no longer can. She is the default assignee in those projects. And has full administrative rights to those projects. My account also can not create subtasks in those projects now.  There was no change in the project settings that I can tell which precipitated this change.

The "error" such as it is :

"The request timed out try again."

This is very frustrating. This is using Jira Cloud. 

Thank you for any suggestions or help.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events