Why do Archived Issues still show up in Epics under 'Issues in Epic'?

Dakota Bramblette
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 1, 2020

We recently switched over from Delete to Archive (disabled Delete but enabled Archive in its place) and we noticed an odd incident when looking at Epics. 

If you archive an issue, it is removed from the index, queries, etc. However, if you are on the Epic View screen, under the tab 'Issues in Epic' archived issues are present and do not give any indication it was archived and considered irrelevant. 

Has anyone else seen this? I don't believe they should show up there or at the very least be grayed out if the idea is to give users the option to restore from this section.

2 answers

1 vote
Raleigh September 25, 2020

Just came across this today. Was hoping archiving Canceled stories in the Epic would clear them out to declutter the Epic. Looks like the only option is to remove them from the Epic but label them in some way to see that they were in the Epic. Means more labels and remembering, but that may be it.

Lawrence C_ Loteria
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 15, 2021

I also just encountered this. Hope there's already asolution or an answer at least. 

Shweta Singh May 20, 2022

No support on this so far?

0 votes
Jamie Rogers June 10, 2023

I queried this with Atlassian Support and they advised this is 'working as intended' however there is a feature request on their backlog to better improve visibility of archived issues on Epics.

JRASERVER-71119

Suggest an answer