Why can't my team create company managed projects unless they are site admins?

Helena Cavell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 13, 2022

i don't understand the permissions. unless they are site admins, users cannot 1) invite their team to jira to collaborate 2) create company managed projects. How can i make sure everyone gets access in the organisation but without giving everyone advanced admin rights? 

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

Welcome to the Community!

To create a "company managed" project, you have to be a Jira admin.  Site admins can grant that right, and usually have it themselves.

But the point of "company-managed" is that teams can't diverge from any standard or shared ways of doing things, and that means a small team of admins control all the aspects of the projects that need to be done in particular ways to enable cross-team working and consistency.  (There's still plenty of config within projects that the project admins can configure - users, versions, components, boards etc, but they can't go off and randomly create fields or processes that could conflict with your standards)

If you want to let your people do everything differently team-by-team, that's fine, but you should (and can) only do that with team-managed projects.

Company-managed project configuration is limited to Jira admins.

Jason Forester
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 15, 2022

I know this is months old, but Google found it for me...

You wrote "Company-managed project configuration is limited to Jira admins."

I agree 100% that the configuration needs to be controlled. But once that config is done, why can we not let others create projects based on that configuration. I can't understand the logic in needing to ask an admin to create a new project every time, once the entire config has been created and locked down.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

It's because project creation is more complex than just "choose a scheme" - some workflows won't work with certain field setups, security, permissions, notifications and and and, and you need an admin to understand. 

I agree that it would be nice to have a simple "please create a project for me, using the template X", but Atlassian have never implemented a templating system.  The closest they've got is the "create CMP and use the settings from project Y"

Jason Forester
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 2, 2022

I guess I get what you're saying, but if we want a templated system that keeps users from setting up any sort of a mess, the only way is by using company managed and copy settings from previous project. The fact that users (say PMs with the right privileges) can't do this is still crazy to me, and fundamentally makes Jira a not-necessarily-for-us product.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events