Why can't I move a subtask to done?

I want to move a subtask to done but I am unable to. It can only be moved to in progress, impeded, or accepted. The parent task is currently in the done column.

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.
Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Aug 15, 2017

Hi Caroline,

look at the workflow for subtasks in your project and check, if the final status for the subtasks is mapped to the done column.

Maybe there's no transition between the issue's current status and the final status. 

Warren Levy Community Champion Aug 15, 2017

It will depend on the workflow that you have in place for subtasks, which could well be different to the parent task.

Is this something that you're trying to do for the first time, or something that used to work but now isn't?

From your suggestions, I checked the workflows and it's definitely an issue with that. The workflow for subtasks is preventing from moving it to done. Now I need to figure out if I'm able to change the workflow and how. Thank you!

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Aug 15, 2017

You're welcome :-) Great you found the reason!

If you are not able to edit the workflow for your subtasks, ask your Jira Administrator. And if you are in the admin role and don't find the editing functions, don't hesitate to ask here!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Apr 22, 2018 in Jira Software

How-to setup a secured Jira Software 7.9.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 in less than 30 minutes

...PermissionsStartOnly=true User=www-data Group=www-data ExecStart=/opt/jira/bin/startup.sh ExecStop=/opt/jira/bin/shutdown.sh TimeoutStartSec=120 TimeoutStopSec=600 PrivateTmp=true [Install] WantedBy...

1,485 views 10 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you