Why are video previews no longer available

Kerrie February 22, 2021

We used to be able to add a video (.webm) to a story and click on it to play 

This no longer works - it loads with 'preview unavailable' and you have to download it to play it 

image.pngimage.png

Is there a setting I can change so that it can be played without being downloaded?

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2021

Hi @Kerrie this looks to be a bug, my team are looking into this now.

Juanma February 25, 2021

Happens also in my jira :(

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2021

Hi @Juanma @Kerrie - this should now be fixed for new webm files.

We're looking into how we can fix the files that were affected during the short window where the bug looks to have affected you both.

Like Kerrie likes this
Oksana April 5, 2023

@Owen Wallis this issue is now reproducible for us as well

Starting 4/5/2022

2023-04-05_13-57-31.jpg

1 vote
Robert Tully December 20, 2022

This issue is still affecting us. We have videos saved from Teams which we wish to host in Confluence  (cloud) for knowledge sharing. Some of them load previews, some do not. Format is mp4 for both working and non working video previews. Is there a file upload size limit at which previews no longer are expected to work?

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
December 27, 2022

Hi @Robert Tully no there shouldn't be a limit (I think 5TB is a limit set by some service providers, so hopefully you're not uploading videos at that size!)

Happy to connect and chat in the new year if timezones suit https://calendly.com/owallis

1 vote
twb December 14, 2021

@Owen Wallis has this issue been solved? I still have the issue after attaching an mp4 file to an issue. Used to work fine, but we have seen the issue the last couple of weeks.

We are using Jira Cloud.

image.pngimage.png

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
December 15, 2021

A fix was applied for webm files. I'll check with the team to see if there are any issues with mp4.

Samuel Razali
Atlassian Team
December 19, 2021

UPDATE: I have investigated uploading both webm and mp4 on Jira and Confluence and both do have preview, however:
- Webm takes really long for the preview to kick in, about 1 min 9 seconds (00:03 to 01:12)
- Mp4 gets the preview instantly when uploading

Given this result, perhaps we can think of how to improve the preview enablement speed of webm.

Like Owen Wallis likes this
0 votes
Dianne David April 14, 2023

Hi, I'm encountering same issue, the video successfully uploads and is viewable even after publishing but after x hours, when I check again, it shows Preview Unavailable. When I try to reupload, it works again but after some time (which I cannot determine the actual duration), it becomes unavailable again.

PREVIEW.png

0 votes
Rahul Dadhich April 5, 2023

I am facing the same problem. Was there any solution for the issue reported.

I am seeing "Creating Preview" for all uploaded videos now

JIRAPreview Issue.png

Oksana April 5, 2023

@Owen Wallis @Rahul Dadhich 
I also see this issue from today for all my mp4 videos 
Codec: H264
Size: 9MB

2023-04-05_13-57-31.jpg

Rahul Dadhich April 14, 2023

Works fine for me now.

I faced the issue for a day and next day it was fine automatically. Maybe some small glitch

0 votes
Snailedlt December 7, 2022

Same issue here.

Using Atlassian Cloud (I think). Any way to verify this btw? The domain is https://egdeservice.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/.

The issue I'm having is with .webp files. The file preview works fine while editing in the browser, and even after it's uploaded, but as soon as I refresh, the preview is gone.

This is how it looks when adding the image. Preview works.

Screenshot_3.png

After publishing. Preview still works fineScreenshot_5.png

After refreshing the page. Preview unavailableScreenshot_6.png

Error messages that pop up in the console after refreshing.Screenshot_7.png

Editing the confluence page again. Preview still unavailable

Screenshot_8.png

0 votes
naseriimahmoud September 4, 2021

I have same problem @Owen Wallis  when upload attachment (webm)  with rest api

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
September 29, 2021

Hi @naseriimahmoud could you let me know a little more about what you are doing? Which product you are uploading into, what you are trying to achieve?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events