Why I can not rename a transition?

Andrey Ponomarenko December 17, 2019

I am trying to rename a transition between status "NOT DESCRIBED" and status "BACKLOG" from name "to BACKLOG" to name "to Backlog" in an inactive workflow.

But it provides me with an error "A transition with that name already exists."

But when I try to reuse a transition, there is no transition "to Backlog" in the list of available transitions.

Thanks in advance.

Снимок экрана 2019-12-17 в 20.57.47.png

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2019

Hi Andrey - Since it is still inactive, it might be faster just to Delete the transition and create a new one. 

Andrey Ponomarenko December 18, 2019

Hi @John Funk 

But there are transitions I wanna rename, which have validators, conditions and postfunctions(made by me), which I dont want to create again.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2019

You should be able to rename any transition. Just thought if you have done that was giving you trouble that you could recreate it. Are you not able to rename other ones either? 

Andrey Ponomarenko December 27, 2019

Hi @John Funk !

Yes I am not able to rename some other ones either.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2019

What version of Jira Cloud are you using? Do you have the full paid version or the Free one? Or some other version?

@John Funk I am using full paid JIRA Cloud

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2019

Sorry for all of the questions - are all of the transitions that you cannot re-name on the same Workflow? Or does it happen on different Workflows?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2019

Also, is this Workflow still Inactive? And how big is the Workflow (how many Statuses). You might be better off just deleting the entire Workflow and starting over. Was this copied from an existing Workflow or was it created new from scratch?

@John Funk 

1. It was created from a simple workflow

2. It is big (~15 statuses)

3. I tried on both on active and inactive

4. That problem appears on different workflows

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2019

It's usually not a good idea to modify the simple workflows. That's problem the start of it. You should create a new one from scratch if there are going to be major changes from a simple workflow. 

Once you get the first one created (that isn't a simple workflow), then you can copy that one and use it for the base for others. 

The other option is to open a support ticket with Atlassian here:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Michael Aglas April 28, 2021

wait what? why does it matter? so it seems the problem persists when copying the workflow... So I do need to do anything from scratch?!  that's poor...

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2021

@Andrey Ponomarenko  - Did this get solved for you? What was support's response?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2021

@Michael Aglas  - It is always best to create a new question when you have a need. That way a lot more people will see the question instead of just the few on this thread. 

That being said - what exactly are you trying to do?

Suggest an answer