Where i can edit jira-software-users

Andrei Muravlyov March 12, 2020

Guys, Where i can edit jira-software-users role in Jira Cloud? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2020

Hello @Andrei Muravlyov

Thank you for reaching out.

To properly edit a project role and check which users are added to a role by default, you can navigate to Jira Settings > System > Project roles, as you can see in the documentation below:

Managing project roles

To edit the name and description of a project role, locate the project role in the project role browser (see Viewing project roles above), and click the Edit link. 

Additionally, under project settings > People you can see/edit the users applied for the roles in each project.

Now, if you are talking about the Default Jira group called jira-software-users, you can edit it under User management groups, checking under product access which kind of application access this group provides:

Managing groups

Let us know if you have any questions.

Andrei Muravlyov March 16, 2020

Where here https://prnt.sc/rh4663 i can edit group access? 

I need to do this stuff:

1. Everyone from group  jira-software-users can set followers in every tasks from different project,

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2020

Hello @Andrei Muravlyov

Just like I mentioned in my last reply, you can edit the application access that each group provides under Product Access.

The thing is: You must have at least one group with default access to each application in your site, so if you want to remove the mentioned group you will need to add a different one with the default access:

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 10.31.21.png

About this requirement:

Everyone from group jira-software-users can set followers in every tasks from different project,

I'm not sure if the steps provided above might help you with this requirement. Can you please give us more details about what do you mean by "Followers"? Are you talking about Watchers?

Andrei Muravlyov March 16, 2020

Yes. sorry, i talked about Watchers. Tryin to explain below. 

1. I have a lot of different projects in our Jira Cloud system (example: "developers project", "designers project"). 
  2. I have different groups users for access for these projects (developers group, designers group).
  3. But sometimes i need to add Watcher in task, who doesn't have the permission to project (i need to add Watcher from group "designers" to project "Developers project") 
  4. And i thought edit jira-software-users group can help me in my case.
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
March 26, 2020

Thank you for the details provided, @Andrei Muravlyov

Per your description, I understand that you would like to have the ability to add a user as a watcher of an issue where he is not configured with the browser permission to access it. Is that correct?

Indeed, the permissions of a project do not allow you to add someone as a watcher that is not configured with the browser project's permission, since a watcher will receive notifications about the issue that he is not supposed to access.

That being said, if you want some users to access a single issue of a specific project and receive notifications as a watcher but not enabling them to access other issues in the same project, you can use the Issue security level to achieve your goal. These would be the steps:

1 - Create and add an issue security level to all the issues of your project, marking it to be added as default to the new issues created and configuring all the users/groups/roles that should be able to access ALL the issues in the project

2 - Create a user/group picker custom field (multiple-choice), adding it to your issue screens and to the security level you created. 

3 - Add the user/group picker custom field (multiple-choice) to your project notifications, so it will work as the watcher field

3 - In the Project permissions, allow anyone to have the browse project permission. The project restriction will rely only on the security level.

4 - Every time you need someone to access a specific issue, add him in the user/group picker custom field (multiple-choice), so only that issue will be visible for that specific user.

Please, take a look at the links provided and let us know in case you have any questions about the steps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events