Where can I find a roadmap/plan with the (next)LTS?

Eric C July 9, 2021

Hi,

'been searching for a while now... could find JSW Release Notes but could not find a Plan / Roadmap with the next planned JSW LTS.

Current is 8.13, 8.16 is delivered (that has JRASERVER-4812 which is what I am interested in), 8.18 is also delivered. But since we only take LTS, I cannot plan my activities (or if we should look for a workaround meanwhile) if I don't know when we will upgrade.

Br,

Eric 

3 answers

2 votes
Andriy Yakovlev [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 15, 2021

To share some updates, Jira 8.20 Release Candidate is live and available here -  https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/download-eap 

The actual release is planned later this month. 

MadelineBarr June 2, 2022

Hi Andriy,

Do you happen to know what the next LTS version is and when it will be coming out?

I have a community post asking this question here and someone directed me to this post thinking you might be able to help: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Next-Server-LTS-Release-of-Jira-after-8-20/qaq-p/2044074#M199358

Thanks

Andriy Yakovlev [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2022

Hey @MadelineBarr 

Good question.

We don't have a specific version yet, it's WIP, it should be something 9.x (where 2< x < 5). Regarding the timeline it's end of Q3, so customers have a smooth upgrade from previous LTS 8.13.x. 

Hope this helps :) 

MadelineBarr June 14, 2022

Thanks Andriy,

I appreciate your response.

I had also put in a support ticket and was told that the next LTS is 9.x and it should be out soon. The "2< x < 5" is helpful as well. 

All of this helps very much!

Thanks

2 votes
Marco Palumbo August 20, 2021

Hi @JimmyVanAU 

Based on what I know Jira 8.20 has been announced as the next LTS releaseand it is planned for calendar year FY21 Q4.
Unfortunately this doesn't mean that we can fully rely that it will be released in the announced timespan... just thinking about the long delay happened with Confluence 7.13

One thing that can be helpful in a "guess game" is the Jira Development Releases page, here you can see that the Dev Team has not even released the very first 8.20, rather they just issued the 8.19 and this one is at a very early stage.

I hope it will be released according with it's announcement timing, but I'm not really confident about it.

JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2021

Hi Marco,

Same - it is helpful to have knowledge through an Atlassian Partner or TAM, but this isn't solid written evidence that Eric may need to form/help inform a decision.

Fingers crossed for Jira and Confluence LTS' coming out in the coming months.

Like Eric C likes this
1 vote
JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2021

Hi Eric,

Judging by Jira's end of life policy and previous cadence - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/support/atlassian-support-end-of-life-policy-201851003.html

Jira 8.5 was released October 2019

Jira 8.13 was released October 2020

Jira 8.20/8.21(?) should be released October 2021

Atlassian only ever support 2 LTS versions for an application, e.g. Confluence 6.13 LTS has had its life extended until the next LTS comes out. This is based on fact that each version gets 2 years of support and an LTS is released at least every 12 months.

Hope that helps!

Cheers, Jimmy

Eric C July 11, 2021

That's probably a good guess Jimmy.

But I was after an official and reliable roadmap from Atlassian, which I can use to make my own reliable plans.

Suggest an answer