When / how / does an EPIC card become OPEN to IN PROCESS?

john valley June 24, 2021

I'm coming from a MS TFS/VSTS software background and new to JIRA (Which I like but only one week into it so far) and still trying to figure out the lay of the land.  

I am walking into a already up and running environment that hasn't been kept up to date so my first task is getting things current.

QUESTION:  Some EPICS show IN PROGRESS and that makes sense because 1 or more of its cards are also IN PROCESS.   But then there are other EPICS that show (OPEN) when in fact there are underlying associated cards that are in fact IN PROGRESS.

I would think that JIRA would automatically change the EPIC status from OPEN to IN PROGRESS the second that one of its underlying cards becomes IN PROGRESS but from what I mentioned above, that doesn't seem to be the case???  Signed -Confused me

1 answer

3 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2021

By default Epics will not change status based on the underlying stories. It can be configured to do so using post functions or automation. I would carefully inspect what you are seeing to understand how these epics are going to in progress. It could be that there is automation involved or it could be that someone manually moved it. You can inspect this by going to the history tab of the epic and observing the various transitions.

john valley June 24, 2021

Thank you for your expertise.  This explains everything I was looking for.  Looking at the history TAB information was key.   These were manually changed..... Thanks again!!! 

Suggest an answer