Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

When an epic is complete on a Next Gen project, how do you remove it from the Kanban board?

I am running epics in a next-gen kanban project.  Once all the stories associated with an epic i would like to remove the epic from the board?  Is there a way to do this?

4 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey Community Leader Feb 28, 2019

@Casey Scheipeter , unless it has recently change Epics are not removed when done but again that may have changed as I know they are rolling out updates pretty frequently. Other issues, e.g. Stories, Tasks, etc will be dropped after being done for 14d. So it will be interesting to see if Epics follow suit. 

Any updates here?  It has been a long time since this request was on a roadmap.  No movement.  Please provide a date for having this available.

Hope you are not using the Jira next-gen project to track this particular request, because you may be unable to distinguish between epics that are closed and those epics that are open. :)

Jack Brickey Community Leader Aug 27, 2021

Hi Thomas,

I know you did in an earlier response above that a solution for removing the epic when done was released. Specifically these release notes conveyed this update - Next-gen-release-notes-for-Jira-Software-Cloud 

Here is the excerpt from that article that was pertinent

• Filtering improvements: Some improvements to filtering on the Board and Backlog to help you quickly find your work.
    • Filter lists will be sorted alphabetically
    • A search bar will included when there are more than 10 items in the list
    • An issue type filter will be added by default
    • Epics marked as Done will no longer show in the epics filter list
    • It will be possible to share a filtered view with others by copying the URL

If that is not specifically what you were referring to I might suggest opening a new question for the community.

Cheers!

I still see Epics marked as Done in the epics filter list, unless I mark it as done from the Epics filter list. If I close it with resolution Done it still shows up in the Epics list

Hi Angélica,
Is there any update on this? It's a frustration in our team's workflows that when we try to use epics, we are constantly avoiding the "done" ones manually with new filters, and when we try to add a story into an epic, we have to select from a long drop-down that includes the completed ones. Is there any workaround for this?

Thanks!
Adam

Hi Adam,

We still don’t have updates about board filters for Epics.

We have some feature requests suggesting the implementation of this ability:

Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates and feel free to add a comment on the features for our dev team to check.

Regards,
Angélica

@Angélica Luz any updates on this? 

Hello @Roman Balakin,

For the features that I shared on my previous response, only the Roadmap Epic filter in next-gen projects had an update. Please, check the comments for more details.

Is there any specific feature that you need an update? 

Please, make sure to watch and vote for the feature to receive notifications.

Regards,
Angélica

Hi,
It's been a year. We are already having a cluttered epic filter view in the backlog after weeks of usage. Any updates or good simple workarounds?

Regards, JP

Like Thomas Fou likes this

Hello @Jan-Pieter van den Heuvel,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I saw that you created a ticket with our support and they shared another feature request:

The features I shared here previously here are related to Roadmaps and Boards and not the Epic Panel.

If you need an update about the feature Roadmap Epic filter in projects, please let me know. 

Kind regards,
Angélica

0 votes

Hi Casey,

Thank you for getting in touch with Atlassian Community!
This is currently on our roadmap and soon you will be able to hide a Done Epic.
You can find the details here.

Regards,
Angélica

Thanks Angelica, I clicked the link but not sure where to find updates. I'm having the same problem, I'm done a few epic, have marked them as complete and resolution status is resolved however, it still shows up on my board. 

Has Jira already updated next-gen so the epics would disappear in 14 days? If not, where can I view update status? 

Hi Maryam,

The update is on "Filtering improvements". 

Filtering improvements
Some improvements to filtering on the Board and Backlog to help you quickly find your work.

Filter lists will be sorted alphabetically
A search bar will be included when there are more than 10 items in the list
An issue type filter will be added by default
Epics marked as Done will no longer show in the epics filter list
It's possible to share a filtered view with others by copying the URL

In this case, it will not disappear from the board, but you can add the filter to do not show the Epic.

Regards,
Angélica

Like Jack Brickey likes this

Any luck getting this really basic and necessary feature shipped yet?

Like # people like this

Seconded.

My epic drop-down selector is riddled with completed projects. Makes my workflow feel disorganized.

I'm currently trying to hack my way around this by moving these epics to a new board once complete. No such luck, they still appear despite being marked done.

Any advice or update would be appreciated.

EDIT: I got the second board hack to work.

1. Create a second next-gen board. Name it something like "Completed Epics".
2. Once an epic has been completed from the first board working board, click "Move" and move the epic + children to the second board.
3. The epic no longer appears in any drop downs of the first working board. You still have access to all your tasks/children should you need them later.

Like kevin_kessler likes this

Sounds like a decent workaround but we shouldn't have to do it.

Like kevin_kessler likes this

Do you have any update for this? @Angélica Luz  what is the Jira for that?

Hi @noa,

Thanks for reaching out to Community!

The feature was already implemented in 2019:

On a next-gen (team-managed) Kanban board, if the Epic is Done and the child issues from the Epic is also removed from the Kanban board, the Epic will no longer be visible on the Epic filter list.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Hi @Angélica Luz thanks for your response.
What about nextgen scrum board, is this supported?

Hi Noa,

It's possible too, but only if Sprints are disabled.

When Sprints are disabled, tickets will be removed from the last column after 14 days or when manually removed.

Kind regards,
Angélica

@Angélica Luz If I don't want to disable the sprints. Is there a way to remove the Epics? 

Hi @Jane Skullman,

Thanks for reaching out to Community!

The only way to remove tickets from the board is by not using Sprints.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Apps & Integrations

🍻🍂Apptoberfest Update: Upcoming Virtual Events 🎉

Hello Community! I hope you've been enjoying the 🍂Apptoberfestivities🍂 (I know I have!) The event is heating up next week with a series of virtual events that we're calling the 🍻🍂Partner App ...

78 views 1 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you