When an epic is complete on a Next Gen project, how do you remove it from the Kanban board?

Deleted user February 28, 2019

I am running epics in a next-gen kanban project.  Once all the stories associated with an epic i would like to remove the epic from the board?  Is there a way to do this?

9 answers

4 votes
Apua Juan February 25, 2023

I had a similar question to hide completed epic story from my Epic panel of Backlog.

Finally I found a way as below:

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 11.36.17 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 11.44.01 PM.png

Chen Ni March 16, 2023

Works like a charm. Thanks Apua!

jonebacinskaite May 25, 2023

thanks for posting this! 

George Mihailoff May 28, 2023

In my opinion, the problem with this is that you must treat Epics like other work items on a Kanban board with the ability to move it to "done" as usual. This is a workaround for a deeper problem.

Check my other comment to see how we solved this https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/When-an-epic-is-complete-on-a-Next-Gen-project-how-do-you-remove/qaq-p/1021371#M269182

Ilya Ivanov September 21, 2023

How do you get these controls in the Team Managed Software project? Here's what I see in the filters:

image.png

Like # people like this
Apua Juan October 5, 2023

@Ilya Ivanov I got the same UI as your screenshot.

It seems like recent update (would see "Enhance my board and backlog" somewhere) the UI has been changed, and the way I found is outdated.

Ilya Ivanov October 6, 2023

I was able to resolve this with a help from Atlassian support. It turns out that these epic filters disappear if all the issues in Epic are DONE. So even if you epic is DONE it will be displayed in the filters unless you close all the child issues. May be it will save someones time :)

Like Aleksandra Leesment likes this
Nicolo November 9, 2023

Not working for me. Epic Status is set as DONE; child issues are also DONE but still the epic displays in the side panel.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2023

can you share an image of the epic status and it is appearing?

Benjamin Simon December 7, 2023

Hi @Jack Brickey I am facing the same issue than other users.

We are using a Kanban board.

- In the timeline I can hide the Done EPICs so it works as expected

- The backlog keeps showing Done EPICs as shown in the image. Not sure how else I can indicate it is done, but I don't have more options here.

- I have a filter to hide "Done" cards, and yet, the EPICs are visible.

What else can I try to get this working? For now I am manually moving the Done EPICs to the bottom, but I would like to get them hidden.

Thanks!

Jira EPIC Done Visible.jpg

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2023

Hi @Benjamin Simon , I believe everyone is now on the new "enhanced" board view along with the new changes for CMP epics. As such things are different for how Epics behave. Specifically, there is not the old confusing Epic Status in addition to the issue Status. What this means is that as soon as you set the status of an Epic to Done it should immediately disappear from the Backlog Epic panel list. However, in your image this does not appear to be the case. Could you please do me a favor and click on the expand ">" character on epic in question. What do you see? Does it. Look like what Apua shows or something else?

Benjamin Simon December 13, 2023

Hi @Jack Brickey

Jira EPIC Done Details.jpg

It looks exactly like what Ilya Ivanov showed before, but in my case the EPIC is not disappearing even if I have all the issues in Done.

> I checked and all the stories and tasks are marked as Done as in the first image I shared

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2023

@Benjamin Simon , it would be interesting to test transitioning the epic out of Done and back again. I don't know why you are seeing this TBH. It is working ok for me as described in my previous post. Are any epics moved to done disappearing? Could you create a test epic and transition to done to see if it disappears?

Benjamin Simon December 14, 2023

So just created a new EPIC, move it Done, and yes, it disappear! But, it doesn't have any task. I will play a bit with it and share more info if I find what is happening.

cmercier84 December 21, 2023

@Jack Brickey I have the exact same problem on my end too. When creating a new epic, it works as expected (status=done makes it hidden in the backlog epic panel). However this doesn't work for old epics that I want to mark as done and hide. Would it be possible that they are not the same "object type" in the backend compared to newly created epics? Is there a way I can transition them to the new type so I can successfully hide them from the backlog list?

As it is, I fear all my old epics will be forever stuck in the epic panel unless I delete them all, which is not a very good option...

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2023

@cmercier84 , I cannot say what the cause of the behavior is TBH. I will see if I can get someone in the know to provide some input here.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2023

Hi @cmercier84 

We are in the process of deprecating certain fields such as Epic Status.  In this case it's the 'Epic Status' field that is causing a problem here.  In the old setup, that field was all that was used to determine if an epic appears in the Epic panel of an Agile Board (Scrum or Kanban).  However in the new setup, Jira is looking at both the Epic Status and the issues status category of that Epic issue to determine whether or not it appears in the Epic Panel.

Cases

Before in epic panel

After in epic panel

Epic A :
Epic status - DONE
Issue status - TO DO

:hidden_eye:
Epic A is concealed.

:viewed:
Epic A is visible.

Epic B :
Epic status - TO DO
Issue status - DONE

:viewed:
Epic B is visible.

:hidden_eye:
Epic B is concealed.

There is a way to help identify which of these Epics have differing Epic Status/ Issue status types, you could run a JQL query such as these:

type = "Epic" and "Epic Status" = Done and statusCategory != Done

type = "Epic" and "Epic Status" != Done and statusCategory = Done

You could run each query separately.  This way you can learn which epics have differing values between these fields.  From there you can then use the bulk editor to make changes to status or epic status as means to work-around this.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2023

I thought in the new world Epic status was gone altogether. I guess I need to go back and look at my older epics. Thanks for providing input Andy. 

dasherAC
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 5, 2024

I'm having this issue and I tried running the above statement:

type = "Epic" and "Epic Status" != Done and statusCategory = Done

However, "Epic Status" doesn't seem to be a  valid field anymore, both done and !done return no results (I see all my done epics if I leave it out). It's doesn't show up as an option to change it in bulk changes either.

Any thoughts?

Martin Costello April 2, 2024

Yes i am unable to find anything on epic status, even from the list of fields available, the above query returns nothing for me in JQL

I can find it to add it in as a column for my filters but it is blank

Cannot even edit the values of this field via the bulk migrate function

Abhi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 17, 2024

We are also facing the same issues- is there going to be a fix to resolve this behaviour ?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2024

Hi @Abhi , this thread is getting rather tired and disjointed. I would suggest you create a new question in the Community. Doing so will result in more fresh eyes looking at your specific question.

3 votes
Thomas Fou August 27, 2021

Any updates here?  It has been a long time since this request was on a roadmap.  No movement.  Please provide a date for having this available.

Hope you are not using the Jira next-gen project to track this particular request, because you may be unable to distinguish between epics that are closed and those epics that are open. :)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 27, 2021

Hi Thomas,

I know you did in an earlier response above that a solution for removing the epic when done was released. Specifically these release notes conveyed this update - Next-gen-release-notes-for-Jira-Software-Cloud 

Here is the excerpt from that article that was pertinent

• Filtering improvements: Some improvements to filtering on the Board and Backlog to help you quickly find your work.
    • Filter lists will be sorted alphabetically
    • A search bar will included when there are more than 10 items in the list
    • An issue type filter will be added by default
    • Epics marked as Done will no longer show in the epics filter list
    • It will be possible to share a filtered view with others by copying the URL

If that is not specifically what you were referring to I might suggest opening a new question for the community.

Cheers!

Helga Bjarnadóttir October 11, 2021

I still see Epics marked as Done in the epics filter list, unless I mark it as done from the Epics filter list. If I close it with resolution Done it still shows up in the Epics list

Like # people like this
Nic November 3, 2021

I'm having the same issue - even after waiting 14 days.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2023

Hi Andy,

first I want to clarify that I do not work for Atlassian. I am just a user like yourself. Therefore, I cannot speak for Atlassian here.

With that said, where exactly is your epic showing in the backlog? I checked a test project that I have and old done epics are not displayed anywhere that I could see. Maybe you could share a screenshot? I'll certainly try to help you as much as I can here.

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 28, 2019

@[deleted] , unless it has recently change Epics are not removed when done but again that may have changed as I know they are rolling out updates pretty frequently. Other issues, e.g. Stories, Tasks, etc will be dropped after being done for 14d. So it will be interesting to see if Epics follow suit. 

0 votes
George Mihailoff May 28, 2023

This has been a problem for a while and as part of our advanced kanban boards functionality, you can finally see Epic cards in next-gen/team-managed projects. It allows teams to visualize big items, manage their flow and ultimately scale your value delivery system.

advanced-kanban-boards-screenshot.png

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1228332/quantify-kanban-pro

0 votes
Andy Gritton February 9, 2023

Just another example of the borked implementation of Next Gen projects.  It is so frustrating trying to hack your way around what should be basic functionality. Quite how Atlassian have maintained their market dominance given the gaping holes in Jira that go for years without being addressed.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2023

Hi @Andy Gritton (and all),

This is a rather old post and TMP (PKA next-gen) projects have evolved greatly. I thought I would update this post with the latest behavior as indeed you can't hide done epics in the Roadmap view quite easily in TMP now.

Below is an image that illustrates how this is done. Basically you click on the little slider/filter icon in the upper right in the configuration pop up you can now select hide completed epics. I hope this helps future members searching for answers.

2023-02-09_10-49-45.jpg

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2023

oh, and before I forget...

The Epic will disappear from the drop down list on the Board view once the last child story/task is gone from the board. If memory serves Done issues disappear after 14d.

Andy Gritton February 9, 2023

But it still appears in the Epic panel in the Backlog view FOREVER... or so it appears!! I'd sussed out how to hide completed Epics on ROADMAP no bother but when we are planning work in the Backlog we don't want to see old completed Epics in the left hand panel. My original comment still stands, would be great if you have a solution to that.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Audrey BAILLY December 30, 2022

Hello,
I'm still looking for an answer about this feature...
I understood that the epics could be filtered in the roadmap, but what about the backlog without removing sprints functionality? Has this been fixed? If yes, what is the solution please?

0 votes
Adam Zionts October 4, 2019

Hi Angélica,
Is there any update on this? It's a frustration in our team's workflows that when we try to use epics, we are constantly avoiding the "done" ones manually with new filters, and when we try to add a story into an epic, we have to select from a long drop-down that includes the completed ones. Is there any workaround for this?

Thanks!
Adam

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2019

Hi Adam,

We still don’t have updates about board filters for Epics.

We have some feature requests suggesting the implementation of this ability:

Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates and feel free to add a comment on the features for our dev team to check.

Regards,
Angélica

Roman Balakin February 27, 2020

@Angélica Luz any updates on this? 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
February 28, 2020

Hello @Roman Balakin,

For the features that I shared on my previous response, only the Roadmap Epic filter in next-gen projects had an update. Please, check the comments for more details.

Is there any specific feature that you need an update? 

Please, make sure to watch and vote for the feature to receive notifications.

Regards,
Angélica

Jan-Pieter van den Heuvel May 4, 2021

Hi,
It's been a year. We are already having a cluttered epic filter view in the backlog after weeks of usage. Any updates or good simple workarounds?

Regards, JP

Like Thomas Fou likes this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
May 5, 2021

Hello @Jan-Pieter van den Heuvel,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I saw that you created a ticket with our support and they shared another feature request:

The features I shared here previously here are related to Roadmaps and Boards and not the Epic Panel.

If you need an update about the feature Roadmap Epic filter in projects, please let me know. 

Kind regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
February 28, 2019

Hi Casey,

Thank you for getting in touch with Atlassian Community!
This is currently on our roadmap and soon you will be able to hide a Done Epic.
You can find the details here.

Regards,
Angélica

Maryam Jahed August 2, 2019

Thanks Angelica, I clicked the link but not sure where to find updates. I'm having the same problem, I'm done a few epic, have marked them as complete and resolution status is resolved however, it still shows up on my board. 

Has Jira already updated next-gen so the epics would disappear in 14 days? If not, where can I view update status? 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
August 5, 2019

Hi Maryam,

The update is on "Filtering improvements". 

Filtering improvements
Some improvements to filtering on the Board and Backlog to help you quickly find your work.

Filter lists will be sorted alphabetically
A search bar will be included when there are more than 10 items in the list
An issue type filter will be added by default
Epics marked as Done will no longer show in the epics filter list
It's possible to share a filtered view with others by copying the URL

In this case, it will not disappear from the board, but you can add the filter to do not show the Epic.

Regards,
Angélica

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Mick C August 10, 2020

Any luck getting this really basic and necessary feature shipped yet?

Like # people like this
Bruno Alfano-Rizzo August 17, 2020

Seconded.

My epic drop-down selector is riddled with completed projects. Makes my workflow feel disorganized.

I'm currently trying to hack my way around this by moving these epics to a new board once complete. No such luck, they still appear despite being marked done.

Any advice or update would be appreciated.

EDIT: I got the second board hack to work.

1. Create a second next-gen board. Name it something like "Completed Epics".
2. Once an epic has been completed from the first board working board, click "Move" and move the epic + children to the second board.
3. The epic no longer appears in any drop downs of the first working board. You still have access to all your tasks/children should you need them later.

Like kevin.kessler likes this
Mick C August 18, 2020

Sounds like a decent workaround but we shouldn't have to do it.

Like # people like this
noa May 23, 2021

Do you have any update for this? @Angélica Luz  what is the Jira for that?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
May 24, 2021

Hi @noa,

Thanks for reaching out to Community!

The feature was already implemented in 2019:

On a next-gen (team-managed) Kanban board, if the Epic is Done and the child issues from the Epic is also removed from the Kanban board, the Epic will no longer be visible on the Epic filter list.

Kind regards,
Angélica

noa May 24, 2021

Hi @Angélica Luz thanks for your response.
What about nextgen scrum board, is this supported?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
May 25, 2021

Hi Noa,

It's possible too, but only if Sprints are disabled.

When Sprints are disabled, tickets will be removed from the last column after 14 days or when manually removed.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Jane Skullman September 1, 2021

@Angélica Luz If I don't want to disable the sprints. Is there a way to remove the Epics? 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
September 2, 2021

Hi @Jane Skullman,

Thanks for reaching out to Community!

The only way to remove tickets from the board is by not using Sprints.

Kind regards,
Angélica

hitesh August 2, 2022

I cannot believe that we still don't have this. I don't want to see the epics in the next gen scrum board. Very basic feature that should be there. Currently it is messing up our flows

Like # people like this
Lisbeth Olofsson April 27, 2023

I totally agree. This feature needs to be implemented. The whole point of using boards (scrum and kanban) is to be visual about the work that is ongoing and the work that is completed! Work that is completed should not be shown in the boards

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2023

Hi @Lisbeth Olofsson , what implementation are you desiring beyond what was implemented in May of 2019 according to the release notes...

• Filtering improvements: Some improvements to filtering on the Board and Backlog to help you quickly find your work.
    • Filter lists will be sorted alphabetically
    • A search bar will included when there are more than 10 items in the list
    • An issue type filter will be added by default
    • Epics marked as Done will no longer show in the epics filter list
    • It will be possible to share a filtered view with others by copying the URL

What behavior do you desire? Maybe there is an open suggestion align with your goal.

Lisbeth Olofsson April 27, 2023

Hi @Jack BrickeyI have a kanban board showing the epics that we are working on/have completed. I would like the completed epics to disappear from the board two weeks after they have been completed.

Nell Jerram July 17, 2023

@Jack Brickey The solution described above does not appear to apply to or to work in my next-gen JIRA project.  Here is a screenshot showing a done epic: epic.png

Here  is a screenshot of that epic showing up in the Epic Panel in the Backlog:
panel.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2023

Hi @Nell Jerram ,

first, I would highly recommend that you consider creating a new post for the specific question you have. The reason being is that this is a very old post when you consider how evolved TMP projects are since the original post. With that said, are you sure that you are dealing with a TMP project? The reason I ask is that the second image of the backlog seems to be that of a CMP project. Please check the bottom left hand corner of your project page.

Nell Jerram July 17, 2023

Thanks @Jack Brickey .  I wasn't familiar with the TMP and CMP terms, but I guess that TMP matches what I do have in the bottom left hand corner of my JIRA project: blc.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2023

Nell, 

Yes sorry TMP = Team Managed and CMP = Company Managed.

Would you mind sharing a complete screenshot with the backlog selected in your second image? The reason I ask is that the second image seems to be from a CMP as I am unfamiliar with the Epic panel in TMP but maybe it has been added.

Also, could you elaborate on exactly what you want to do? This OP was discussing having Epics removed from the Next-gen (aka TMP) Kanban board.

One thing to note is that with CMP, Epics have two statuses - the Issue status which is associated/managed via the workflow transitions and there is an Epic status. In this case, if you want the Epic to disappear from Epic panel in the CMP Backlog then you must change the Epic status to Done. Many admins choose to automate this such that the Epic status follows the Epics Issue status.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events