When all the sub-tasks are done then move the story to done. Destination Status Error.

Hizkeel Khan April 19, 2022

Hello,

I have set the automation that when all the sub-tasks are moved to done then the story should be moved to done automatically but I get I error that destination status.

I have set the resolution to done when sub-tasks are moved to done. This works fine. The issue I'm having is when all the sub-tasks are moved to done then the story itself doesn't close and the automation rule fails. I'll share the automation rule details and the workflow details as well. 

Here is the screenshot of the automation rule.

Automation Rule.png

Here is the screenshot of the workflow:

Demo Workflow.png

The error is I'm getting is that:

"Destination status could not be resolved. If using a smart-value ensure this resolves to a numeric status ID or untranslated name for issues"

Any help would be highly appreciated. I have been in this issue for quite a while now. 

Looking Forward

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2022

Hi @Hizkeel Khan ,

please look into the audit log and share us, what you see there. It is possible to transition to status Done only if the story is in status Ready for QA. Could it be it is failing, but the story is in status To Do or In Progress?

Hizkeel Khan April 20, 2022

@Hana Kučerová - Thank you so much for your reply. The story is in To-Do Status and all the sub-tasks are moved to done status. The Story remains there in To-Do Status. Here is the screenshot of what I see in the Audit Log 

Destination Status Error..png

I have already shared the workflow I'm using and the automation rule I applied.

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2022

@Hizkeel Khan Thank you, as there is no transition from To Do to Done, automation rule can't close the story. I would recommend you to add global transition to Done status, so that the automation rule can close the story everytime (not only when it is in Ready for QA status).

Like Hizkeel Khan likes this
Hizkeel Khan April 20, 2022

Hey @Hana Kučerová - Can you please explain a little where I would find that global transition option. If you can explain in detail how it can be done then it would be a great help. Also, would it solve my problem that whenever my sub-tasks are completed and in the done status, my story will be closed too! 

Thank you for your help.

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2022

Hi @Hizkeel Khan ,

in your case the problem is you want to automatically close the issue (= transition it to status Done), but for some source statuses there's no transition to status Done, so the automation fails (because there's no way how to do it).

If you create global transition to status Done, then you should be able to transition issue to status Done from every status.

You can for example find more about global transitions here.

0 votes
Derek Adkins November 3, 2022

Jira automation only transitions where there is a direct link between statuses.  In your example. if the parent is In Progress, you'll have to first automate transition to Ready for QA, and then again to Done.  You can do this in the same rule.

Suggest an answer