When I delete a parent issue any children of that issue can also be deleted in Jira?

Shadish Kumar April 30, 2019

Our project has many tasks and associated sub-tasks. I expect when i delete the parent issue/task, all his associated child issue/tasks be deleted.

2 answers

2 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 30, 2019

Hello Shadish,

By default, all associated sub-tasks are deleted together when you click to delete the parent issue.

There's a warning pop-up informing this when you click to delete the issue:

Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 19.31.00.png

Let us know if you have any other questions. :)

0 votes
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2019

Note that the general consensus among folks here on the forum is not to delete issues, as doing so can come back to bite you in many ways. Instead, close them with an appropriate resolution (Canceled, Deleted, etc.) As it applies to your particular question, though, you will need to create a post function to close the subtasks. We use the JMWE "Transition Linked Issues" post function for this purpose.

Suggest an answer