What is the difference between the status and the status category?

Jenny N_
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 1, 2021

I am new to Jira. I work my way through the system. I created a project and now i can select a status and a status category. But i wondered what exactly is the difference between these two? Hope someone can help me. 

Thank you in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

10 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2021

A status is a display for the humans that tells us where an issue is in its lifecycle.

A status category is a broad ranging and simple human classification of all the status.

Imagine you have a need to track "make a cup of tea".  At any point in the process, you can point at the task and say "we are here in the process".  So you've got a process of

I want a cup of tea -> boiling kettle -> mix tea and water in the pot -> steeping -> splashing milk in cup and pouring -> I have tea

Each one of those is a status.  And each status can be put in one of three categories - to do, in progress, done.  In this example, "I want a cup of tea" is "to do", "I have a cup of tea" is "done", and all the others are "in progress" because they're progression.

Jenny N_
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 1, 2021

I understand, thank you so much for the easy explanation!

Like # people like this
DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events