What is the difference between the Jira Cloud Microsoft add-on and Microsoft 365 for Jira plugin

Yvonne O' Leary March 28, 2023

Hello

Wanted to enquire what is the difference between Jira Cloud Microsoft add-on and Microsoft 365 for Jira plugin. Urls for both below

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/office/WA200002140?tab=Overview&exp=ubp8

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213138/microsoft-365-for-jira-outlook-email-teams-calendar?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

2 answers

4 votes
Patrick Schüßler _yasoon_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2023

Hey @Yvonne O' Leary 

Thanks for asking. Let me gladly share with you the main differences between the two apps: 

Microsoft Teams for Jira Cloud is a free app developed by Atlassian, which provides you an integration between Jira Cloud and Microsoft Teams. With this app you have the possibility to search, share or create new Jira issues in Microsoft Teams. There is also the possibility to display Jira issues of whole projects based on specific filters in a Microsoft Teams channel tab. 
Overall you can say that this integration brings *some* Jira features to Microsoft Teams

Microsoft 365 for Jira provided by yasoon comes with more features. The app by yasoon offers the same features as Microsoft Teams for Jira Cloud with some differences and additional functionalities:

Features in Microsoft Teams (yasoon.com)

The main difference is that you will benefit from Microsoft Teams feature also in Jira. For example, you can start a chat or channel conversations within issues. 

Microsoft Teams: Start a chat in Jira (yasoon.com)
Microsoft Teams: Start a conversation in Jira (yasoon.com)

Besides this features integration you are able to work with more Microsoft tools: Outlook email, meetings, calendar and Microsoft To Do. 

Below there is a feature overview:

Features in Outlook (yasoon.com)
Features in Jira (yasoon.com)
Automation features (yasoon.com)
Feature in Microsoft To Do (yasoon.com)

And we collected more use cases for you to get an idea how to work with the app:

Use cases (yasoon.com)

Please note, I work for yasoon, so I am a fan of the app :-)

In case you have any further questions or want a live demo, feel free to reach out to me: patrick@yasoon.com

I’m always happy to help.

All the best, 

Patrick

0 votes
Maksym Yokha
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2023

Hi @Yvonne O' Leary !

The first one you linked says "by Atlassian.com". That means it's made by Atlassian. It's also 100% free with no features hiding behind a paywall.

The other one is built by a third-party.

Yvonne O' Leary March 28, 2023

Hi myokha

But any technical difference? in terms of features

Maksym Yokha
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2023

@Yvonne O' Leary We once conducted a community post (a bit outdated now) describing the feature set of Jira Cloud for Outlook.

TL;DR: Jira Cloud for Outlook searches for issue keys in an email, giving you context info about issues w/o reaching out to Jira. In a task pane (sidebar) you can create issues, transition, change assignees, and tags, comment on issues, etc. One cool feature that I like is that you can take an email and literally send it to the Jira issue, then it will appear on the issue's page in the Attached emails section just below the Linked issues section.

Jira Cloud for Outlook works both with Jira Software and Jira Service Management.

I'd suggest trying it out to explore its features as it's completely free.

Regarding the other one, the only thing I can say is that that's the add-in built by a third party.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events