We have one of the Jira instance with License type: Commercial (Data Center)
Could you please confirm:
- What happens after Jira licenses expires ?
- Which actions/activities are possible after licenses expires ?
- Which actions/activities are not possible after license expires ?
- Would it be possible for Jira users to login to Jira to use it in read-only mode ?
- Would it be possible for Jira site administrators to login to Jira to use it in read-only mode ?
If you do not renew your service and support when it expires then you will no longer be able to update your software or get support.
- What happens after Jira licenses expire? You lose the ability to upgrade your software or get support. You will also have to pay full price again if you decide to get service and support again.
- Which actions/activities are possible after licenses expire? The application will be read-only and you will not be able to upgrade it or get support. So when critical fixes come out you will not be able to apply them.
- Which actions/activities are not possible after the license expires? You can not upgrade or get support if something happens and it will be read-only.
- Would it be possible for Jira users to log in to Jira to use it in read-only mode? If you choose to continue to host the application as read-only then yes users could still log in and use it.
- Would it be possible for Jira site administrators to log in to Jira to use it in read-only mode? If you choose to continue to host the application as read-only then yes admins could still log in and use it.
@rgoossens Per that section it does match up. "ForData Center licenses, after the first 12/24 months, your software maintenance will expire and your installation will become read-only. " Even though the instance becomes read-only you will still need to continue to maintain the hardware, etc. that it runs on. You will also no longer have access to updates or support.
Data Center installation will become read-only when licenses expire.
See the Atlassian licensing FAQ:
What happens when the included self-managed software maintenance ends?
For server licenses, after the first 12/24 months, your software maintenance will expire and you will no longer be able to receive technical support or software updates. As all server licenses are perpetual, you can use your software into perpetuity. This means the server product will continue to operate in its current state after the maintenance period expires. With the recent end-of-sale of our server products, server software maintenance renewals can be purchased through February 23, 2023.
For Data Center licenses, after the first 12/24 months, your software maintenance will expire and your installation will become read-only. To ensure that your Data Center maintenance doesn't lapse, enroll in automatic renewals in my.atlassian.com.
Please note: Maintenance renewals commence from the date the previous maintenance period expires, regardless of when the maintenance renewal was purchased.
I have created a ticket to Atlassian, and they said YES to all above questions.
Thanks for answering. The FAQ addresses the expiration of the "first 12/24 months", what about the consecutive (2nd, 3rd etc.) 12/24 months? How does Jira Center then behave, when the license expires thereafter?
Generally, I can understand then termination of updates and support, when the license expires. But why should Jira DC be read-only, if one hosts the application on his own infrastructure? What are reasons behind? Customer friendly looks different…
👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events