Upgrade jira with expired maintanance

Maha vishnu v April 21, 2020

Maintance expires date  for my  Jira and confluence in May-04-2020 . We have scheduled date to upgrade on 16/may/2020 ( We cant changes this fixed upgrade date unfortunately ).

We wish to upgrade jira from 7.1.1 to 8.5.3 Enterprise version and confluence from 5.10.7 to 6.13 Enterprise version in windows . I want to do this upgrade without renewing Maintenance

1 .Upgrading jira without valid license is never possible ?

2 .What would be the potential impact i could  face ? and  What are dis advantages ? 

3 .If upgrade possible , Within how many days I should renew Maintenance license ? 

4. Before Mainatance expires , If we do upgrade , What are the advantages ? 

Thanks in advance  . 

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2020

Jira licensing is perpetual so you will able to use it as is even after expiry. But you can't upgrade.

Taking your question one by one,

1. Upgrading Jira without valid license is never possible?
  2. What would be the potential impact I could face? and what are disadvantages?
    • Security - You will not receive security updates, which are really important.
    • Support - You will not get any support from Atlassian.
    • Feature/Bug fixes - This is minor but important
  3. If upgrade possible, within how many days I should renew Maintenance license?
    • Usually there is grace period associated with license (~ 1 month, you need to check with Atlassian on that)
    • You can upgrade your license till grace period. After that you have to buy new license.
  4. Before maintenance expires, If we do upgrade, what are the advantages?
    • This is always recommended.
    • Every thing that I mentioned in point number 2 are valid here
    • My suggestion is, always upgrade, and please stay up to date with Atlassian's security patches

You should read this page on licensing policy - https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/purchase-licensing

Also stay up to date with this - https://www.atlassian.com/trust/security/advisories

Maha vishnu v April 22, 2020

@DPKJ  , Your information helps , Thanks 

I just want to recheck with you , Since date fixed for Particular date with management , We are allowed to upgrade on 16/may/2020

I'm confused with below statement  , Please give clarity 

Jira licensing is perpetual so you will able to use it as is even after expiry. But you can't upgrade.

You can upgrade to the version which was released before your license expired for Enterprise 8.5.3 version . 

General question : 

How I can connect to Atlassian on this need ?  

Security , Support and feature /bug stuffs ,I could get after upgrade and  License renewal is possible ?

Is it good to renew license for current version 7.1.1 and planning for upgrade in specific date ?

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2020

@Maha vishnu vI mean to say as per Atlassian's policy you are eligible to upgrade to any version which are released before your license expiry date.

Here is an example to explain further,

You purchased license on 1st January 2020, and your support is expiring on 31st December 2020

• Before 31st December 2020 (support is valid)
    • you can upgrade to any version
  • After 31st December 2020 (support is not valid)
    • You can upgrade to versions of product released before 31st December
    • If you don't upgrade, you product will work as is (perpetual license)

Best way to connect with Atlassian is via there support portal - https://support.atlassian.com/ (look for 'login in to contact support' button)

I did not get your 2nd question clearly but after renewal you will get all updates till your support expiry.

You can renew your license any day, and it always good to renew license before upgrading

• License renewal doesn't have any downtime (you just need to purchase new license and and apply to jira/confluence)

I hope it clarify most of your doubts.

Maha vishnu v April 24, 2020

@DPKJ  , 

Much Thanks for your detailed elaboration . I have accepted your answer . 

sncmuseum October 13, 2020

Hi, guys. You not added any new valuable features to your Jira ServiceDesk product, but made critical security vulnerabilities and want money (a lot) for fix it? Cool! 

Like cquad likes this

Suggest an answer