Were there changes to Jira Cloud app for Slack for Guest Accounts?

David Looby September 26, 2019

A multi-channel guest user in Slack reports that, as of Wednesday, September 25th,

"anytime I reference a Jira ticket (in a channel for which the Jira Cloud app is configured), instead of the addon showing an issue preview it returns the following message:"

Jira Cloud APP [x:xx AM]
:warning: To show a preview of this issue please log in to the Jira for Slack app. By logging in, you'll be able to create Jira issues from Slack, set up notifications for your Jira projects into channels, and quickly take action on notifications.

Also displayed is a "login" button - when clicked it goes to a "You're not authorized to install Jira Cloud on [Company's Jira Cloud installation].

This behavior is new. The user was able to successfully submit and view Jira Cloud issue details on Tuesday, September 24th.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trevor Thompson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2019

Hi @David Looby ,

This is new functionality we've just shipped. We've upped the security of the Jira for Slack installation by requiring that users log into show issue previews. This ensures that users can only show previews for Jira tickets that they actually have access to.  Logging in requires that you authorize the Jira for Slack app as a user. Once the Jira for Slack app has been installed in a workspace, additional users should be able to authorize the Jira for Slack app without issue.

Is this user a guest user in the Slack workspace? 

Trevor Thompson

Product Manager, Product Integrations

David Looby September 26, 2019

Hi @Trevor Thompson , thanks for the prompt response. The user is a guest in slack and has an account in our Jira instance. They should be able to login to Jira through slack but it sounds like the Guest account is precluding that(?)

David Looby September 27, 2019

jira cloud deadend for slack guest user.pngThis is what my guest user sees. However, some 'regular' slack users have hit speedbumps with authing jira cloud as well. I don't have any screen grabs of their troubles, unfortunately.

Like # people like this
Trevor Thompson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2019

Hey @David Looby

Apologies for the delayed response. I've created a public JAC ticket to follow the progress on supporting Guest users with our new unfurling. 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/API-180

However, this definitely should not be happening with 'regular' Slack users. If you can grab a screenshot of what's happening to them, please send it my way and we'll see how we can help. Feel free to email me trevor.thompson@atlassian.com

Thanks again for your feedback

Trevor

David Looby October 10, 2019

@Trevor Thompson thanks for the follow-up. I will keep an ear out for any issues with my regular users. For the time being I'll mark this question Answered. thanks again.

Suggest an answer