Want to create a multi-level hierarchy

Deepak Indoliya January 12, 2012

I am looking to create a hierarchy for Epic->Story->Task->Sub-Task. Is that possible?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2012

Sure. This will probably be enough to get you started:

Deepak Indoliya January 17, 2012

Once again, thank you Adam. This will likely work for us, especially if we explore the Structure plugin.

7 votes
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2012

Yes and no.

Epics, Stories and Tasks as far as JIRA is concerned are all parent level in the JIRA hierarchy. JIRA out of the box allows for a parent-->child level hierarchy, which typically is reflected something like this:

Story-->Sub-Task

Task-->Sub-Task

Defect-->Sub-Task

Epics in JIRA are at the parent level, but through the magic of labels can be reflected as higher in the hierarchy, even though under the hood they really aren't.

That's the no part.

The ALMWorks Structure plugin allows you to have multi-level hierarchy in JIRA, I don't think they limit the depth, and is probably worth investigating. It's commercial plugin and I have not used it much, but from what I've seen it looked promising. Perhaps someone else who has used it can comment more on their experience with it.

Hope that helps.

Deepak Indoliya January 13, 2012

Thank you Adam. Can you please point me to any links that suggest how I can use Labels to implement this?

0 votes
Maksim Feshchanka February 23, 2019

Hello, 

I have a 'related' question:

Is there any possibility to create a multi-level hierarchy in Jira Cloud SW project (other than mentioned earlier, like Story-->Sub-Task, Task-->Sub-Task, Defect-->Sub-Task)?

Thanks ahead,

Maksim

Robert H Spears March 25, 2019

I'm looking for the same thing.

We use Jira, not Project, at my firm.  I've used Project for years, and nesting tasks is second nature to me.  Having a bunch of color coded or labeled tasks on a giant board seems very unstructured to me.

Robert

Like # people like this
Chris Cooke Old Street Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 11, 2019

Hi Gents,

I'd recommend you check out Panorama for hierarchy, nesting and structuring your Jira.

Let me know if it's suitable and would be happy to hear any feedback or questions you have.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219417/panorama-hierarchy-structure-for-jira

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2019

Hi, @Robert H Spears (and John).

If Jira out-of-the-box (or, "in the cloud" in your case) + "the magic of labels" (as described above) is not working for you, Panorama is one of the newer Marketplace apps that are designed to do this.

But there are others, as well. As mentioned at the top of this thread, Structure from ALM Works is one of them. Note: Structure Cloud specifically, for you. Full transparency: I work for ALM Works.

BigPicture, from SoftwarePlant, is another popular app that does this. It's also available for Jira Cloud.

I'd suggest reading more about all three options and then trying out 1 or 2 (or 3) of them to determine which one best meets your needs.

-dave [ALM Works]

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2019

Hi, @Robert H Spears  (and John).

If Jira out-of-the-box (or, "in the cloud" in your case) + "the magic of labels" (as described above) is not working for you, Panorama (just mentioned by Chris) is one of the newer Marketplace apps that are designed to do this.

But there are others, as well. As mentioned at the top of this thread, Structure from ALM Works is one of them. Note: Structure Cloud specifically, for you. Full transparency: I work for ALM Works.

BigPicture, from SoftwarePlant, is another popular app that does this. It's also available for Jira Cloud.

I'd suggest reading more about all three options and then trying out 1 or 2 (or 3) of them to determine which one best meets your needs.

-dave [ALM Works]

0 votes
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
January 17, 2012

Sure. This should be enough to get you started:

Suggest an answer