Want to build a resource/capacity plan across Jira projects - how to?

Mike Buening November 2, 2020

It seems like a straight forward need but I'm having a hard time finding a solution.

I've been looking at Tempo Planner today but it doesn't do this (I don't think).

I need a tool that will take all the tasks across many Jira projects and roll up the assignments, start/end dates, and estimates, to build a resource plan.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2020

Hi @Mike Buening -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Please take a look at this posting which lists several ideas for marketplace add-ons that might help:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Resource-Capacity-planning-for-Jira-issues-please-help/qaq-p/999406

Best regards,

Bill

Mike Buening November 3, 2020

Thanks @Bill Sheboy 

I did read that post before.  I spent a day with Tempo Planner and as far as I can tell it is definitely not what we're looking for.  

I believe PoJ is now called Advanced Roadmaps - I'll look into that.

It is a little hard to believe that something simpler and straightforward isn't already out there.  Or I just haven't found it yet.

Best Regards,

Mike

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2020

Sorry none of those tools are going to help you. I am also puzzled at some missing, basic functions for Jira work management.

For simple work roll-up and reporting, I suspect many folks still use the reliable and understandable stand-by: export to a home-made spreadsheet tool.  (Although soon you'll need to guess the people when it only exports accountID values, not names. :^)

0 votes
Mike Buening November 3, 2020

FWIW, and providing credit where it's due, we have a view in BigPicture that may do the trick.  We'll have to work with it for a while but the initial setup is on the right track.

BigPicture performance worries me a bit as our portfolio grows but it's a good start.

We've detuned it significantly to keep things simple - I do not want BigPicture changing the dates on Jira issues but it seems pretty insistent.

Thanks all!

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 15, 2020

Hello @Mike Buening,

I am glad to hear that you decided to try BgPicture. Indeed the tool was designed to help to build a Resource Plan based on resource availability.
Please be informed that we are continuously working on BP improvement. In the latest version, BigPicture 8, we introduced new functionality, Workload Counturing, which allows you to specify how an assignee's effort is distributed across a task period.
image (39).png

We introduced this functionality to help you manage workload distribution in a more elastic way and better adjusted to your real workflow. I hope you will find it useful. Here you will find more details: Workload Contouring.

You mentioned that changing dates of tasks in Jira disturb you. Could you please share more details with me? I will gladly help answer your questions. 

Anna

SoftwarePlant Support

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events