WF show different in story and Workflow it self

Gloria Landsberg June 7, 2021

Hello fellow Jira admins, 

I have encountered the following issue - 

when checking the jira issue status the list of statuses is different than in the actual workflow - see screen shot .... 

Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 11.42.19.png

when clicking on the "View workflow" option bellow the status list - the Workflow appears in the correct order - as it actually suppose to be. 

Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 11.42.30.png

I have checked the board columns and the statuses in them and they all are good as they should be. 

Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 12.43.42.png

I can't find a reason why is this miss-listing of statuses in the ticket, so my question is - is this a glitch in Jira or I haven't done something right and can't find it to fix it? 

Any advise would be highly valuable. 

Thank you in advance. 

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2021

So the order in the drop down is associated with the underlying ID which is associated with order created. What follows is a bit dated and I have not attempted of late so you will need to test or await an answer from someone that has recently attempted.

The following post will outline how you can reorder - Reordering-Workflow-Steps by changing the opsbar properties. However, there was a regression that prevented this from working when the ‘new issue view’ was introduced. I seem to recall it was addressed but not 100% sure of that.

Thank you @Jack Brickey  for the details - very helpful and inside-full. Browsed around for details and accept your input as the most plausible and we decided to bit the bullet and stick with what it is now. It is what it is. :) 

cheers, 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2021

I can't see a mismatch.  The lists of status appearing in your first screenshot matches the workflow in the second one, as well as the ones mapped into the board columns.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2021

I think the issue is order of defining and defined? Do you know if the opsbar properties works?

there is a mismatch although not much obvious :) 

the actual WF is - left column 

actual WF                     WF shown in the list of statuses 

New                            New  

Defining                      Defined                    

Defined                       Defining 

Blocked                      Blocked 

Develop                      Develop

Test                             Migrate 

Migrate                       Test 

Done                           Done 

that's the reason I am asking why there is such mismatch, is it Jira hick-up or my misdoing? 

Cheers,

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2021

There's no mismatch - the lists are the same, it's the ordering that seems to be the problem.

The trick here is to note that the layout of the diagram has no impact on the ordering of the options when you ask for a list of status.  Without any additional config, Jira has nothing to tell it what order status should appear in in a list, so it assumes that it should group to-do category status first, in progress second, done last, then within those groups, it sorts by the unique id, which simply gets higher with each new status added to the system.  (In fact, I don't know if it's working off the id of the transition or the target status there)

The rest of what I'd go on to write here has been covered by Jack while I was off making tea, so I won't repeat any of it!

Like Kiril Zhishev likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2021

I’d love a bit of tea with splash of milk please. ☕️🥛

Like Gloria Landsberg likes this

Thank you Nick for the detailed explanation where the key from the tent is hid. 

Will keep all this in mind next time such questions arise. 

cheers, 

Suggest an answer