Versioning sub-projects (epics)

Mattias Thalén May 26, 2021

I have a big project for our Qlik development.

It contains one epic per Qlik app and each app has a version number. 

I’m trying to figure out how to handle versioning. The function for that in Jira seems to be for the entire project, not the sub-projects.

My first thought was to use labels for this purpose. 

Do you have any other suggestions?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I was also thinking I should use components for the different apps and epics for versions of them. But I can’t seem to find components in my project. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2021

Components are defined by a user who is assigned the the Administrator role for the project. Are you such a person?

I am, but as far as I’ve understood it’s not available for next-gen

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2021

That is true. There is an open change request about it which you can vote for here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17601

In this post@Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_  mentions some alternatives to Components in Team Managed projects.

Like # people like this

Thank you for your help! ☺️

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2021

Hi @Mattias Thalén ,

I recently wrote an article about alternatives for next-gen components that were mentioned across the Atlassian community posts 👉 https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/How-to-create-Components-in-team-managed-former-Next-gen/ba-p/1693783

To the topic of versioning in your project when you manage multiple apps. What you can eventually do is to add a prefix to your Jira versions in order to differentiate for which app they're.

If you're open to using Jira plugin you can try to use our app Swanly. There is a feature in the app called "Templates". You can create your own templates and tag your versions with them. Then in the app, there is a list view of all your versions and also a roadmap and you can filter by these templates.

In your case Templates can represent different apps.

High-level data such as name, status, type, progress, description, as well as start and end dates you can filter through to track progress across multiple issues, releases and projects.

I hope this helps :)

Nikki

Like Mattias Thalén likes this
Mattias Thalén May 27, 2021

Not a bad idea!

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2021

Is it an option for you to set up separate JIRA projects for each Qlik project, instead of using Epics within one project for each Qlik project?

I’m afraid not, for several reasons The biggest one being is that we can’t create project ourselves, we need to raise a ticket with IT to have it created. Not so flexible. 

Suggest an answer