Velocity report - committed points show 0

HP July 23, 2019

Hi there,

I'm collecting a velocity report and find that the only month whereby the committed points were calculated was April.

I can find the reason why the other months were different. 

Can anyone elaborate on how Jira calculates the committed story points?

Thanks,

Hugo

Screenshot 2019-07-23 at 14.17.11.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2019

Hi @HP 

As far as I know, it is based on the tickets that are in the sprint that have a story points estimate AT THE TIME OF STARTING THE SPRINT.

Is it possible that you have a bunch of unestimated tickets in a new sprint, you start the sprint and then add story points? Or you start a sprint with no tickets, then add them after it has started?

The fact that 5 out of 6 sprints have 0 committed seems to point to you doing something (incorrectly) each sprint.

HP July 23, 2019

Hi @Warren ,

I believe it's because we are putting the story point and not the story points estimate, see below:

Screenshot 2019-07-23 at 17.38.06.png

If this is the reason, then I assume we need to put the story point estimate at the beginning of the sprint and the story points at the end?

Or just the story point estimate?

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2019

Hi @HP 

It seems as though Story Points Estimate is for the Next-Gen boards and Story Points is for the classic boards - see this discussion.

I never thought to ask you which boards you're using, possibly this will help you

HP July 23, 2019

Hi @Warren ,

I read the dicussion and got even more confused. Why did JIRA created these two fields that just create more distraction?

Looking at my board setting, I'm estimating correctly for Story Points (April worked out fine).

Screenshot 2019-07-24 at 08.43.26.png

Then JIRA introduced this new field and it stopped tracking the committed. 

I guess I need to try with estimates and see what happens, but this is plain confusing.

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2019

Hi @HP 

Totally agree! To be honest, we haven't used story points for a few years, which is why I tried searching for the difference between the 2 fields and came up with that discussion - the people commenting there also seem confused.

I think it would be best to try both for a sprint and see if that helps.

Which field did you use in April when it worked? Next-Gen or classic?

HP July 23, 2019

@Warren ,

I believe I found the issue when reading about migration from next-gen to classic or vice-versa, https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/migrate-between-next-gen-and-classic-projects-957974933.html.

Based on the below excerpt, it seems the next-gen estimated based on story point estimate field. Will change and do a test, but seems to be the issue, thanks for the help!

------ what they say in the article -----

Things to keep in mind if you migrate from next-gen to classic

• Story points estimation: This data will be lost. This is because the custom field that Jira uses to store estimates in classic projects (Story points) is different to the custom field used in next-gen projects (Story point estimate). 
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2019

Pleasure

Suggest an answer